cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userb5kRVBWOpJ
Constellation

S8 Can No longer EDIT/ADD email, etc to Contacts. Only phone numbers!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am editing only in the "Contacts" app. I do not have any way to add anthing other than a phone number and name any more.

WHY? I have owned Galaxy phones sinc the S3, and so many issues with the software on this phone. LOVE The phone, but so many things that I LOVED about my galaxy seem to be gone or moved...and no longer intuitive.

-System: Andoid vers. 7.0
-Samsung Experience Vers. 8.1
-Using "Contacts" app, not phone app
-Contacts saved on SIM card.

Help!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userb5kRVBWOpJ
Constellation

Re: S8 Can No longer EDIT/ADD email, etc to Contacts. Only phone numbers!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For wanting to help!

I figured it out. UNFORTUNATELY There is more than one way to access a contact, which is very poor UX, imo.

I just noticed that if I tap on the person's PHOTO (or initials in the circle), not their name or "Details" I have MORE editing features, and can add email, etc.

HOWEVER, if I click on "details", I get a similar screen and the same EXACT "edit" button, that does NOT allow editions, only changes to existing input.

This is a very weird way to  manage and see contacts. NOT an improvement from how "Contacts" has worked in the past.

There are many, sadly, very unintuitive features and changes to software and apps than in the past.

-sigh-

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you just not getting the option to edit or add in the Contacts app at all? Or are you selecting these options and the phone is either not responding or spitting out an error message? This is a really weird thing to be experiencing. I appreciate the additional information in regards to the specific app and where your Contacts are stored. Do you have any contacts that are actually synced from a Google or Samsung account in there as well? 

Sorry to bombard you with questions, @userb5kRVBWOpJ. I'm just as puzzled as you are here and want to keep you as in love with your phone as you were before. Let me know these details as well as who your carrier is and I'll see what we can find here on our end about this. Thanks. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userb5kRVBWOpJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For wanting to help!

I figured it out. UNFORTUNATELY There is more than one way to access a contact, which is very poor UX, imo.

I just noticed that if I tap on the person's PHOTO (or initials in the circle), not their name or "Details" I have MORE editing features, and can add email, etc.

HOWEVER, if I click on "details", I get a similar screen and the same EXACT "edit" button, that does NOT allow editions, only changes to existing input.

This is a very weird way to  manage and see contacts. NOT an improvement from how "Contacts" has worked in the past.

There are many, sadly, very unintuitive features and changes to software and apps than in the past.

-sigh-

View solution in original post

Lonely love
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Very Insightful, thanks

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just doing what I can for our Community man! Smiley Happy 

I'm glad you were able to clear up this confusion. I've actually struggled with that before on one of my older Galaxy phones lol. However now, I just keep my contacts synced with my Gmail account so that I can access them anywhere and edit them online and stuff. 

I would say if you have great feedback to provide Samsung on the matter, go ahead and fill out this form: http://bit.ly/16i29HV. We're always looking to improve products and services for customers. Smiley Happy

Have a great weekend, @@userb5kRVBWOpJ!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

usereeoeyvry1Y
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also have same problem. My phone automatically saves contacts to my SIM, this gives no ability to add details to the saved contact, and gives no apparent options to save a new contact to either phone or to  Sim. Very annoying. 

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usereeoeyvry1Y

Have you gone into the settings of your Contacts app to try and change it to a storage method other than on your SIM?

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello again @usereeoeyvry1Y

Just thought I would check and see if you needed any further help.

userWvP4Whsy8C
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Man, I am way behind on this.  I just got my new Samsung S8 Active and I am running into the same type of issues.  I haven't managed to get to adding photos yet and now I am afraid to. 

My main question here however is why would I want to save my contact information to my phone instead of my SIM card?  (Other than to cover for a Samsung programing error.)  If my phone crashes, I lose everything!  

Can I save contacts to my phone and my SIM card at the same time?  I am continually finding things that are COUNTER-INTUITIVE.  Why would you program anything to be counter-intuitive?

Maybe I need to take the phone back and get a Windows 10 phone, the Windows 8.1 phone I had was incredible.

I hope nobody gets on here and tells me to "go read a manual", that will absolutley make up my mind for me.

userhoI6qfxcyd
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you save contact to Sim, you get limited options. If you save contact to phone, you get the added options.