cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userKqvAdCTqdz
Asteroid

S8 Download Folder to SD Card

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How do you change the S8 so that the Download folder defaults from internal memory to the SD card?  It is well documented on the Internet how to do this before the S8 using Samsung's My Files app settings.  Looking at this same thing on the S8 Android 7.0 shows that some of these settings have changed and no longer can you do the same thing.  See www.tomsguide.com FAQ page for this.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userKqvAdCTqdz
Asteroid

Re: S8 Download Folder to SD Card

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was notified by Samsung support, outside of this community thread, that Android 7.0 is the reason that this feature is no longer available.

That doesn't make sense.  With so many Samsung phones with SD cards, you would think that Google wouldn't get rid of that feature.

Google, please reenable this in 8.0!

27 REPLIES 27
horse2water
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Set ... Device Main... tap Storage....tap the 3 dots and the setting is in there.

userKqvAdCTqdz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks!  However, there are no settings in that screen.  Here is what that "Storage Settings" screen looks like on my phone:

If I click on "Internal Storage" it just shows details of the internal storage - Total Space, Available Space, System Memory, Used Space, etc.  On that screen, you can click on "Expore", which takes you to the MyFiles app, which is once again missing the setting the default location that it seems clear that previous versions of this app had.

If I click on "SD card", it only allows me to unmount the SD card.

horse2water
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION
1. Go to Settings
2. Go to Device Management
3. Go to Storage
4. Go to SD Card
5. Hit the top right three dots (more options)
6. Make choice
Try this.

userKqvAdCTqdz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userT2LCqfM0KA,

Thank you for the suggestion.  This is pretty much the same thing that userT2LCqfM0KA suggested last night.   I tried and put what I found as a reply to his post.  I did not find any settings on my S8 in that area that would allow me to change the default download folder.

horse2water
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I set my phone to sd card by one of the two ways suggested when I first got it and now I can't find the setting, it even tells you the setting are there in the Mysamsung app, that last update blowed hard.

What about set.... apps.... open a third part app..... hit storage..... the dots

usery1HNWKwNXP
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Dude I have seen this a lot. But there is no Device management option 

userJMw5LJ9cy4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

These instructions do not work with the S8. If you don't know, don't even answer.   What you provided is very basic, very easy, easy to find online and easy to figure out on your own. The S8 is a whole new animal, I'm starting to hate it

userLoYFlUSMFs
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Its not only the S8. I have the same problem on my S7 since the Nougat upgrade. In my research I have found these facts: 1- Samsung allows you to select the sd card as a default location ONLY in the Samsung browser. The option is not made available anywhere else. 2- Chrome for Android has also removed any ability to change the file download location in Nougat. No reason has been given that I can find. 3- "Clean" Nougat as released to phone makers allows the sd card to be used as permanent "adoptive storage" but Samsung, among others, has taken this option away in their flavor of android. All the workarounds I've found involve rooting your phone, using a third party file manager, or even more cryptic instructions a normal user can't fathom! For now it's download to "downloads" only and then manually transfer to the sd card using the 'My Files' app. Good luck! Please share if you find a solution. I'll do the same
userKqvAdCTqdz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you!  That has been what I have been doing - downloading to the Downloads folder and then manually moving.  I just know though that there are some that I am now moving, and will have to do so later or just delte them every once-in-a-while.