cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userP05bxE3v3n
Constellation

S8 Fingerprint scanner stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ever since the last update my fingerprint scanner has stopped working properly. I used to unlock it with my fingerprint each time and it worked perfectly. It has been lingering and I have deleted all my 4 fingerprints to recalibrate it for just one finger. That one worked 1/5 of the time for a day and stopped to work as well. The scanner is sensing that I am putting my finger on the scanner (feedback vibration) but it doesn't read my fingerprint and unlock my phone.

I also tried to talk to someone at samsung helpdesk and they told me to reboot in safe mode, which I did but it hasn't helped. I don't know how to get back to talking to the same person, even though I have a chat ID, and I can't even start a chat on my PC, the link does not work.

Any ideas on what to do?

I've gotten so used to unlocking it with my finger (bought the phone about august 2017) and would like it to work again.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userP05bxE3v3n
Constellation

Re: S8 Fingerprint scanner stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, I have written here before but somehow my answer didn't get posted or got deleted.

The wiping of the sensor did not work, I keep my phone clean as in I wipe it everyday with alcohol wipes because you know, phones get nasty.

I chatted with samsungs online help twice, first time they suggested to boot phone in safe mode, which didn't work either.

Second time I chatted with someone, he suggested I reset the settings (not hard reset, but settings reset) on my phone, then I erased and readded my fingerprints and this has worked for me.

I can use my fingerprint scanner again.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problem, have a nice day.

14 REPLIES 14
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried cleaning the sensor? Please remove any saved fingerprints then wipe the cache partition on the phone and then try re-adding them. 

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I hope you are doing well, @userP05bxE3v3n. I just wanted to reach out and see if you were able to fix your fingerprint reader by attempting these steps?

Thanks so much for reaching out to us about this, if you need help with anything else, please let us know and our community will be happy to help!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userP05bxE3v3n
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, I have written here before but somehow my answer didn't get posted or got deleted.

The wiping of the sensor did not work, I keep my phone clean as in I wipe it everyday with alcohol wipes because you know, phones get nasty.

I chatted with samsungs online help twice, first time they suggested to boot phone in safe mode, which didn't work either.

Second time I chatted with someone, he suggested I reset the settings (not hard reset, but settings reset) on my phone, then I erased and readded my fingerprints and this has worked for me.

I can use my fingerprint scanner again.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problem, have a nice day.

Highlighted
usernQDofYRHkM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Didn't work for me. Tried every solution I can find here and still its not working.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usernQDofYRHkM What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

usernQDofYRHkM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

1. Cleaned the lens

2. Restarted the device

4. Settings reset

5. Safe mode

None of these made a difference. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usernQDofYRHkM Is the fingerprint scanner not recognizing your finger?

usernQDofYRHkM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Correct.  After working perfectly for two years,  it just suddenly stopped recognizing any finger print. And when I try to reset the fingerprint scanner it gives me the message "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, reset your device" Which, of course, I have done multiple times but to no effect.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try giving these few tips below a try.

Here are a few tips to ensure your fingerprint is always recognized:

• The fingerprint sensor is sensitive to moisture. Make sure both the phone and your finger are dry when scanning.

• To get an accurate reading, your finger should completely cover the scanner.

• If you are using a case, make sure it doesn't cover the fingerprint scanner.

• The fingerprint sensor can become dirty with everyday use. Use a clean lint-free cloth to gently wipe away any debris on the sensor.

• Scan your fingerprint at different angles for greater accuracy.