cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userWL24JwrWDs
Asteroid

S8 Gallery App stops working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

3 days ago my Galaxy S8 Gallery app started repeatedly crashing. When I would take a photo I'd get a message "Gallery app has stopped working (or needs to restart)" with a prompt to close or restart it.  Which I would do.

The photo I had taken would show up in the gallery app but when I tried to share it via text or email I would get a message saying "Unable to attach". No matter how I tried to share, text, email, facebook, it was like the photo didn't exist.

I looked at each of the photos properties and they seemed to all be saved as jpegs, nothing unusual. I could view them on my camera but couldn't access them. I tested out other photos that I had taken before 1/27/18 and had no problem accessing, editing or sharing them. FYI all my pics save to my SD card. Also when I try to delete any of the photos I've taken since 1/27/18 they won't delete. I get the prompts to confirm the deletion but the pics still remain in my gallery. Also I tried taking a screenshot of a photo and that got the same results as taking a photo that is inaccessible. 

I've tried the following measures to fix the problem with no success:

• cleared the cache and data files from my Camera, Gallery, Messages and a bunch of 3rd part apps.
  • restarted the phone after each cleaning
  • started the phone up in Safe Mode and tried taking pictures, same issues occurred
  • Tried to boot the phone in Recovery Mode but was too unsure of what was happening and stopped

The only other suggestion I saw online was to delete all 3rd party apps and see if that fixes it but I'm reluctant to do that. Also I'm reluctant to do a factory reset. I was hoping someone in this community could help before taking those drastic measures.

Thank in advance!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userWL24JwrWDs
Asteroid

Re: S8 Gallery App stops working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wound up doing a factory reset on my phone. I made sure to back everything up first and then the gallery went back to working. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

have you tried factory data reset?

What are the carrier and sw build number though?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userWL24JwrWDs

I certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can the Community have the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier and (as @userbcMKA9DSlI wondered) have you tried a Factory Reset? Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userWL24JwrWDs
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung Galaxy S8

Model: SM-G950U

Provider: Sprint

Baseband Version: G950USQS2BQL

No, I have not done a factory reset because it's inconvienient and I'm trying to avoid having to set up my phone all over again.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No worries! Let's see if anyone here in the Community can come up with another suggestion before we resort down to something like the Factory Reset.

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone have a workaround or suggestion? Let us know! Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would send a feedback using Samsung+ app. A samsung engineer who will review your feedback with the logs might help you resolve the problem.

useruLeJ5xc2nX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have thr same problem that you have described. If I try to attach a photo from the Gsllery app to a text it will not be able to attach the photo into a text message. I have to go to Images in the My Files app. From there I can select an image (photo) and share via text or email.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useruLeJ5xc2nX

Just to check, are you using the stock Messages app or a different app to send texts?

userWL24JwrWDs
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wound up doing a factory reset on my phone. I made sure to back everything up first and then the gallery went back to working. 

View solution in original post

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nice! Glad to hear things are working again.  ^_^