cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

S8 Touchwiz home keeps stopping error

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Every time I turn on my phone I get this error message when I'm at the home screen about "touchwiz home had stopped," and when I try to go back it later says " touchwiz home keeps stopping," and later on sends me to the last app I used. I can't even get to my app drawer anymore. I've had my S8 since launch and it just started happening around the beginning of June. I've tried everything from wiping cache and restarting the phone multiple times. I need help!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: S8 Touchwiz home keeps stopping error

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bah...if it won't even let you near those settings there's a strong chance you may need to. Using Smart Switch from your PC, are you able to try to backup that way?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

9 REPLIES 9
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried putting your phone into Safe Mode yet? May I ask who your carrier is so that I may find some detailed instructions on how to do so for your phone? This is going to help rule out any third party applications that might be behind this.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No problem. It's Sprint

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For Sprint, it looks like the User Guide is saying the following:

- Press and hold the Power key, touch and hold Power off, read the disclaimer for safe mode,
and then tap Safe mode.

- After turning the phone on in Safe mode, “Safe Mode” appears at lower left.

- After restarting in Safe mode, your phone can be powered on as usual.

- Before turning the phone on in Safe mode, it is recommended that you back up important
data.

- By powering the phone on in Safe mode, added widgets may be deleted.

This is all it says in the Sprint User Guide for the S8 on their site.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried that and the touchwiz home keeps crushing again and the settings when I try to get to the applications. Any other suggestions?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So not sure if you just tried wiping the cache of TouchWiz itself from the Application Manager, or if you wiped the cache partition of the phone itself. But another thing is inside the TouchWiz Home app, you can make sure to toggle it as set to default, then clear any defaults of the app itself. You can then force stop it so it resets itself, then not only clear the cache again, but clear any data if given the option. You'll then want to make sure Permissions are set for your contacts and what else is defaulted there.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I cleared the cache by going into recovery mode and wiping the cache from there. In terms of reseting the defaults of touchwiz and clearing the data, I can't even get to the applications manger without that crashing as well, it gives me the same error saying "settings has stopped". It won't even let me backup my things without crashing, do you think factory reset would be the only way?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bah...if it won't even let you near those settings there's a strong chance you may need to. Using Smart Switch from your PC, are you able to try to backup that way?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That worked, Thank you

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wooo! Glad I was able to help.