Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user2HynXAEbEh
Constellation

S8 Will not turn on!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I received my new S8 yesterday.  Once I unboxed the phone I charged it.  I turned it on and changed out my sim card and SD from my S7.  Everything was working fine till I shut off the phone after boarding a flight.  When I landed I attempted to power up the phone and it would not respond.  I plugged the phone into the charger and there wasnt any indication that it was charging .  I left it plugged in for 30 mins and then pressed the power and volume down buttons for 30 secs and it came on.   The phone worked fine until I was prompted to download and run an update.  After the update ran and shutdown the phone will not turn on.  I have tried all the tricks, recovery mode, hard resart.  Anyone having the same issues?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
the1ton
Constellation

Re: S8 Will not turn on!! (SOLVED)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This same thing happens to me. If the phone battery completely drains and the phone turns off it will not charge. We tried the OEM charger and about 10 other type c and other usb chargers ranging from 0.5A and up. Nothing worked until I found a solution. 

SOLUTION: Use Samsung charger ETA-U90JWS with a generic cord. The samsung cord would not charge the phone. You have to use that charger and try different cords until a line starts flashing every few seconds on your screen. After that in about an hour you should see the power ring a lightning bolt. Then in about an hour  you will see 1% and so on. Make sure to turn the phone on after 20% and swtich to an oem speed charger to finish charging as the ETA-U90JWS gets very hot charging the GS8. 

Just wanted to share my experience and solution. Samsung knows about this and is doing NOTHING to help people. 

My phone is recovering from SUPER DEAD MODE with that charger as I type this. This has happened to me like six times now. Thanks Samsung!

146 REPLIES 146
Honored Contributor

Re: S8 Will not turn on!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's really weird. I know others have experienced freezing when it comes to their display when trying to run certain things, but nothing of it completely not powering on. Have you tried removing the SIM-card altogether to see if it'll pop up the charging indicator at all. Did you install any apps prior to this happening by chance that might be affecting the phone as it is now?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userApgS5nduSl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried that and it did not work and what do I do after I take the sim card out?!

uservW6PveGSMI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the s8+ and I'm having the same problem
userGs23PLLkut
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem. Screen will not allow me to turn on enter sim card code.

userORVKQBODTJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My son is experiencing this same problem with his new S8. He was on the phone last night and when he finished the phone call his screen went black. He tried charging it overnight even though there was no indication that it was charging it was plugged in. He tries to turn it on but it won't do anything. No lights or charging indicators on the phone. I also bought the S8 for myself and now I'm worried because I was one of the people who also bought the Note 7 and had to deal with the major issues from that phone. I have always had Samsung phones and have loved them... hoping this isn't another major issue!

userXxOmcMq3pO
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same problem. Fixed it by plugging the Samsung into my computer USB port. It had absolutely no power as it started at 1%. When it died it had about 100%. It was like a flash power loss. working fine so far. I only had it for a week.

useroRj2BfZbwp
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue. We just updated my husband's software on his Galaxy S8 last night. Today he was on the phone with me. Once the call ended he recognized that his battery was at 93%. He put his phone on his desk and went on about his day. When he came back it was dead. No power. Not charging (using charger that came with device and even tried another) and nothing. He kept putting off the update, but I insisted to keep his device functioning properly.  

userJvzLiWEU3C
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue after the Android Oreo update last night.  Verizon was about as helpful as you'd expect.

user3ZrRuP7kr6
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

my phone acting up too

i wonder this part of phone going dead will happen to me

oh my