Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user6uVyfpjnV0
Constellation

S8 shows no music files in Sound Picker, Google Play or Samsung Music

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Android v7.0

Phone model Galaxy S8

I wanted to add a custom ringtone using an MP3 I have.  The sound picker shows no music files on the phone

I've tgransfered many MP3s onto the phone yet no files appear in any music program.  Music Picker, Google Play, Samsung Music all have blank screens.  I have already tried reseting app preferences as I have seen on forums but all that did was prevent apps from working properly since they lost their permissions.  I have also reset teh music cache and rebooted the phone.  Still no music files.

I can see the files in My Files but no where else.  I can play the files from My Files by just selecting them and the small window shows that Google Play Music is what is playing them but i cannot locate that same file in Google play after I just used it.

So as an audio player the phone is useless.  No ability to add mp3 ringtones or music files.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user6uVyfpjnV0
Constellation

Re: S8 shows no music files in Sound Picker, Google Play or Samsung Music

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I found out there is a hidden file that blocks the system from searching for media files.  That file is called   .nomedia

In my case, the file was in the base phone directory.  This is a hidden file so if you don't have the option turned on to see hidden files this will not show up.  I connected my phone to my PC via USB and then searched for the file.  I'm not sure why the phone came default with it in the base directory but now all is working perfectly once deleted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
user3zcRSgXlIH
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem....my s8 is useless.

useryrQseN05LB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sound picker is useless.  I have reset app preferences and nothing works.  

user6uVyfpjnV0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I found out there is a hidden file that blocks the system from searching for media files.  That file is called   .nomedia

In my case, the file was in the base phone directory.  This is a hidden file so if you don't have the option turned on to see hidden files this will not show up.  I connected my phone to my PC via USB and then searched for the file.  I'm not sure why the phone came default with it in the base directory but now all is working perfectly once deleted.

View solution in original post

luna340
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

how did you delete that file? Did you have to go into safe mode? I found the file just trying to figure out how to delete it