cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asmodeus
Asteroid

S8+ slow lte network U.S. Cellular

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I have just recently gotten the new s8 plus and have been having very slow 4g lte speeds I have taken it into the store I got it from and the manager of the store couldn't figure it out I called customer support and they said my speeds should be at least 40megs at least and they are not i have unlimited data on a 4g network and yet I still get speeds of at least 3.77 nothing higher even tried getting it fixed and then some. Restarted my phone, reconnected it as per customer support asking me to do it and still no improvement with the 4g speeds they claim there is no issue I had no issues when I had my Samsung galaxy s7 please if anyone else is having these issues and found a way to fix it let me know thank you.

I have included a picture of the speeds I'm getting that I should not be getting

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
useryY00uQATMj
Constellation

Re: S8+ slow lte network U.S. Cellular

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's not your phone that's causing the problem!  Sadly, there is no solution, except to keep complaining and hoping they change their policy.  I switched from Sprint back in early March and was happy for about a month or so with true unlimited speeds of about 15-20 Mbps.  I even traded in my Sprint S7 Edge that was unlocked and paid for becuase they could only get 3G to work and not 4G due to it not having the same frequencies as the US Cellular version of the same phone.  Oddly, the 3G speeds were about double what I currently have on "high speed" 4G.  A couple of weeks of having "slow" 3G speeds, I decided to get a US Cellular S7 Edge, when they had a $250 trade-in promo going on.  I had trouble getting my $150 gift card but that's another story.  Plus, my employee discount doesn't work with US Cellular unlimited plans because it's already such a "great deal".  LOL.   In hindsight, I should've just kept my Sprint S7 Edge running on the US Cellular network, since the phone was paid and worked just fine on faster 3G speeds.  Now, I'm paying for a new phone that has half the internet speed!

For some reason, they started capping unlimited speeds at 1.5 Mbps back in late April for ALL unlimited plans.  At first, i went in to the store and they swapped sim cards and even went as far as warrantying me a new phone, since the Customer Service Reps at the store had no clue why my speeds suddenly were only 10% of what I used to have.  Still got the same crappy speeds with the new phone.  I showed them my speeds on a speedtest app and the needle briefly goes past 10 Mbps and quickly slows down to 1.5 Mbps EVERY time, which is very slow for 4G/LTE speeds, in my opinion.  I added 3 lines to my account and they have the same slow speeds.  When my friends phones on my plan also had the same exact speeds, I went back to the store for a solution.  After them not knowing the reason why, they eventually called tech support and they found out that they are capping all unlimited plan speeds at 1.5 Mbps!  Their reasoning is that is acceptable for SD streaming.  Okay, I get that, they even have that in their fine print but what about other uses for data besides streaming?  They need to add to the fine print that ALL internet speeds will be slowed to 1.5 Mbps on the unlimited plans, NOT just streaming.  I can only imagine how slow the network gets on 2G when you reach your 22GB data limit, if that's even possible at 1.5 Mbps! 

I'm regretting switching to US Cellular and should've went to Verizon!  I hope people keep complaining and they change this stupid policy or at the very least, add it to their fine print so people know why their speeds are slower than they should be.  In the long run, they will lose many customers to other carriers that do not slow down unlimited speeds until you reach your 22 GB cap and even then, some don't unless the network is congested!  They tried to get me to switch to a shared plan to avoid the "unlimited" speed cap but you get charged $15 per GB if you go over and I think that's what they want.   

10 REPLIES 10
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @Asmodeus

Just to verify, you took the device to a US Cellular store and asked them? Normally when it comes to a network concern like this, the carriers are the best point of contact as they are the ones who have direct access to the network itself.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asmodeus
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes I have taken it to the store I have gotten it from they were confused and said it should not be happening the manager of the store at the time was the one who helped me out and he said I should be getting 40+ speeds yet am not I have seen another post where swapping the sim card seemed to have helped I may just go into the store and do it that way to see if that fixes the issue if not well idk what to do then

rrings
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I too have a s8+ with US Cellular and have consistent 4g speeds of 1.5 to 2. If you find a solution please post.

useryY00uQATMj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's not your phone that's causing the problem!  Sadly, there is no solution, except to keep complaining and hoping they change their policy.  I switched from Sprint back in early March and was happy for about a month or so with true unlimited speeds of about 15-20 Mbps.  I even traded in my Sprint S7 Edge that was unlocked and paid for becuase they could only get 3G to work and not 4G due to it not having the same frequencies as the US Cellular version of the same phone.  Oddly, the 3G speeds were about double what I currently have on "high speed" 4G.  A couple of weeks of having "slow" 3G speeds, I decided to get a US Cellular S7 Edge, when they had a $250 trade-in promo going on.  I had trouble getting my $150 gift card but that's another story.  Plus, my employee discount doesn't work with US Cellular unlimited plans because it's already such a "great deal".  LOL.   In hindsight, I should've just kept my Sprint S7 Edge running on the US Cellular network, since the phone was paid and worked just fine on faster 3G speeds.  Now, I'm paying for a new phone that has half the internet speed!

For some reason, they started capping unlimited speeds at 1.5 Mbps back in late April for ALL unlimited plans.  At first, i went in to the store and they swapped sim cards and even went as far as warrantying me a new phone, since the Customer Service Reps at the store had no clue why my speeds suddenly were only 10% of what I used to have.  Still got the same crappy speeds with the new phone.  I showed them my speeds on a speedtest app and the needle briefly goes past 10 Mbps and quickly slows down to 1.5 Mbps EVERY time, which is very slow for 4G/LTE speeds, in my opinion.  I added 3 lines to my account and they have the same slow speeds.  When my friends phones on my plan also had the same exact speeds, I went back to the store for a solution.  After them not knowing the reason why, they eventually called tech support and they found out that they are capping all unlimited plan speeds at 1.5 Mbps!  Their reasoning is that is acceptable for SD streaming.  Okay, I get that, they even have that in their fine print but what about other uses for data besides streaming?  They need to add to the fine print that ALL internet speeds will be slowed to 1.5 Mbps on the unlimited plans, NOT just streaming.  I can only imagine how slow the network gets on 2G when you reach your 22GB data limit, if that's even possible at 1.5 Mbps! 

I'm regretting switching to US Cellular and should've went to Verizon!  I hope people keep complaining and they change this stupid policy or at the very least, add it to their fine print so people know why their speeds are slower than they should be.  In the long run, they will lose many customers to other carriers that do not slow down unlimited speeds until you reach your 22 GB cap and even then, some don't unless the network is congested!  They tried to get me to switch to a shared plan to avoid the "unlimited" speed cap but you get charged $15 per GB if you go over and I think that's what they want.   

usergwUlEiPzZI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the post on the slow speed I have been doing the same thing ever one doesn't know why it's happening they want to send me a new phone but I know it's not the phone it's the carrier I just switched carrier and retreat it now I think I will go to Verison 

usergwUlEiPzZI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Regreat

usern6WXk6bMKE
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

US Cellular is trying to get everyone over to their new plan of no hidden fees but...... They did NOT explain this very good at all.  If you go over your plans GB you get throttled back so bad that you can not even load up a rain radar before the site times out.  Very poor, the true unlimited plan more than doubles your phone bill.  BUYER beware!! 

Asmodeus
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have talked very extensively eith U.S. Cellular and that is exactly the issue they claim it's only for video streaming I told them it doesn't say anywhere in the fine print that it is for all internert speeds and they claimed it was when it wasn't and I also found out because of this issue U.S. Cellular is losing a lot of customers as it does not say that but it does say they reserve the right to change your internet speeds at a whim other then that it doesn't say anything and their excuse for this slow internet speeds is "everyone else is doing it" when only one other phone carrier does it. I told them that they need to express that to the customer that the unlimited plan is slow internert speeds when I tried to get a 22 gb or 16gb internet plan they told me they don't exist anymore so their ads stating no hidden fees, no contracts and no hidden info or whatever is a lie it was hard to find and even their own employees could not find where internet speeds were slowed to what seems like throttled data. Also for the price your paying for it is pathetic. I plan to switch to Verizon because it is true 4glte I have told U.S. Cellular that they need to have better customer service and more they do not care about their customers all they care about is money turns out I go to Verizon rn they'd buy me out of contract and I'd be saving a lot of money as the total phonebill for me would be $90 instead of the $130 **bleep** near $150 phonebill for unlimited everything and Verizon works better not only that I know people who have Verizon so I'd be able to use their name get a better discount and get a $10 gift card I can use anywhere or maybe that's a $50 gift I don't remember either way DO NOT GET U.S. CELLULAR THEY SUCK. If you already have them drop them 

usern6WXk6bMKE
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As with US Cellular most stores are agents not the carrier and are not much help.  That means your only real help is on faceless cumbersome website that frustrate you and takes your whoile afternoon to get somewhere.  I have even had them send me back to the agents for more direct help??!!  Yeah, and around the circles we go!