cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

S8 turns on in pocket

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Lately I've noticed that my S8 is turning itself on, and stays on, when I put it in my pocket! It seems that whenever the light sensor at the top right of the front of my phone is covered, my screen comes on and stays on! I've had my S8 for 2 years now and this is a brand new problem. I suspect something in the latest update. 

The only solution I've found so far is to change Lock Screen from "None" to any other form of security like "Swipe" or "Pattern".   The screen still turns on, but turns off in 5 seconds. I'd like my S8 to work like it did for the last 2 years before this latest change or update. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: S8 turns on in pocket

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Problem solved! 

"Settings" to "Accessability" to "Interaction and dexterity" to "Easy screen turn on". Turned off. Have no idea how it got turned on, just glad I found it.

Went to Samsung tech support. Carl in the Philippines was looking for something else and once we got to Accessability, it just jumped out at me. 

Kind of surprised that 4 people here were of no help. Oh well. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
any recent app downloaded? contact with water?
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No water and no apps downloaded. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you made sure that  your phone is up to date on its software?

Have you tried clearing the cache partition on your phone?

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  5. Press the Power key to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the suggestion, followed all your instructions and nothing has changed.

With security on none and the light sensor is covered, my phone turns on and stays on. When I change security to swipe and the light sensor is covered, my phone turns on for 5 seconds and turns off. With phone in shirt pocket it may do this repeatedly!

Sorry your suggestion didn't work. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this issue still persist when your phone is in safe mode?

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, this procedure does not work. Tried at least 5 times. No matter how slow or fast I release the power key and depress the volume down key, the red dot Verizon "Hello" comes on the screen.

BTW, I checked my neighbor's S8 with identical upgrades, and his works just fine. No pocket problems at all. 

Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is the difficult way of using safe mode when you can't fully power on your device.

While your phone is on try pressing power till you see power off, hold down power off (on your screen) till you see safe mode.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, this procedure doesn't work either. 

Tried uninstalling the last 5 apps that I installed in the last year! My problem is still there, no change. 

Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you cant figure out how to use safe mode then i would recommend watching this YouTube tutorial so you can see how its done

https://youtu.be/7pW6RhE1rnA

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S8 - http://amzn.to/2iGK4SR The camera used to film this video - http://amzn.to/2AuXTvL This is a video on how to get a Samsung Galaxy...