JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S8 turns on when proximity sensor is covered

(Topic created: 08-17-2020 06:26 AM)
userkEW1NVDnYd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

When ever the proximity sensor is covered or my hand is waved over it, my phone turns on! How do I get that to stop? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userkEW1NVDnYd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Problem solved! 

"Settings" to "Accessability" to "Interaction and dexterity" to "Easy screen turn on". Turned off. Have no idea how it got turned on, just glad I found it.

Went to Samsung tech support. Carl in the Philippines was looking for something else and once we got to Accessability, it just jumped out at me. 

Kind of surprised that 4 people here were of no help. Oh well. 

View solution in context

7 Replies
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Under Settings > Display check that "keep screen turned off" isn't turned on as this prevents the screen from turning on accidentally while the phone is in the dark.

Hope that helps!

--

Show me some love with a ❤️
Let me know if this helped by :white_heavy_check_mark: "Accept as solution"
0 Likes
userkEW1NVDnYd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

There is no "keep screen turned off" option under "Display" on my S8. 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Give this a try: go to settings > display > accidental protection and make sure it's turned on

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userkEW1NVDnYd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for your response. Tried that, and just tried it again and it doesn't change anything whether it's turned on or off. Nothing I've tried has changed anything at all. The proximity sensor stays on and when it gets covered by a pocket or a hand swipe the screen turns on and then off again after 5 seconds unless it's swiped and unlocked.

0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Have you tried clearing the cache partition on your phone?

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  5. Press the Power key to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.
0 Likes
userkEW1NVDnYd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for the help. I've tried this before and repeated it just now. No change, proximity sensor stays on even though the phone is turned off. 

Is there a reset I should use? 

0 Likes
Solution
userkEW1NVDnYd
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Problem solved! 

"Settings" to "Accessability" to "Interaction and dexterity" to "Easy screen turn on". Turned off. Have no idea how it got turned on, just glad I found it.

Went to Samsung tech support. Carl in the Philippines was looking for something else and once we got to Accessability, it just jumped out at me. 

Kind of surprised that 4 people here were of no help. Oh well.