cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user4LK4qf2hxf
Asteroid

S8 will not stay powered on after the latest update!!

Ever since I have owned the Galaxy S8 I've always had a problem when the phone has a new software update required for the system. After each such update the phone will start shutting down after I sign on. It would usually settle out if I left it off for a while and then it would work great until the next software update. Today, I noticed that it had shutdown and when I powered it back on it would shutdown right after I entered my pin. It has been doing that all day long. I noticed it was trying to download an software update, even though I had not initiated an update. It finally stayed on long enough for me to enable wifi and it finally downloaded and installed the update. But now the phone has gone back to shutting down after I enter my pin!!

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S8 will not stay powered on after the latest update!!

Does the device shutdown if you boot it into safe mode?

user4LK4qf2hxf
Asteroid

It finally stopped shutting down. I think I found one reason why it was shutting down right after I powered it back on and entered my pin. It was always shutting down a short time right after I entered my pin.

I then decided to just let it boot up and set for awhile before entering my pin and logging in and it does not shutdown. It was shutdown from sitting overnight but after I powered back on I let it sit before entering the pin and it has been up so far today. Yesterday, I couldn't use phone any while it was trying to download the update!

But after this last software update my messages are all messed up. Some messages show up under another contact's name! It's that way for several of my contacts!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Did you notice if this happened while the device was in safe mode?

user4LK4qf2hxf
Asteroid

No, never tried Safe Mode, I couldn't remember how to put phone in safe mode. 

My phone has again been working just fine all day today since the software update was installed. Just the messages are messed up on this update! At least that is all that I have noticed so far.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

If you continue to have issues, I would recommend backing everything up and resetting the phone. This would clear out any corrupt files and stabilize the update.

user4LK4qf2hxf
Asteroid

Of course, that's the ultimate fix! But I think this is a heat related issue. I put my phone on the charger overnight and it was shutdown this morning and would not stay powered on. I tried booting into Safe Mode but it shudown right away! I tried my workaround of not logging in for a while but the phone just kept on powering off. The phone did not feel hot at all. I put the phone in the refrigerator for a while and then I was able to get it to power on and stay on and it is now working again! Might have known that just got this phone paid off and it is going bad! Don't think I'll get another Samsung phone again! They don't seem to be a good stable phone anymore!