cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McVitas
Cosmic Ray

SMS to multiple recipients turns into MMS!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, somebody tell me please what the heck... I just checked wikipedia and SMS are being sent since 1992! I would think that our super duper today's smart phones would have mastered this ancient technology already. 

What bothers me is that whenever I write sms to more then one recipient and it exceeds 31characters it is sent as MMS! Samsung messages app does not even warn me that this will happen! The result is it may cost much more money and there is a big chance recipients will never read it because they don't have MMS setup or they even have those old dumb phones!
I tried doing the same in Textra and indeed it happens there too even when I have all MMS options in both apps disabled. Textra shows when the message changes to MMS before sending at least unlike Samsung messages. I have a feeling this might not be a problem of just Samsung phones but maybe Android Nougat, is that right? But I really don't understand it from a technical point of view. Obviously I can send a long multihundred characters message even with national characters (czech) to many people one by one and it's sms, so why the heck can't the phone save me time and do it for me when I am organizing some session with friends and sorry, they don't all have Whatsapp or messenger or data turned on all the time Smiley Sad
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
McVitas
Cosmic Ray

solution for Galaxy phones

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, so I had a chance to test this on an Xperia Z5 compact finally. Yes it behaves as I remember - sends multiple concatenated SMS to each recipient.

Screenshot_20170825-094127.png

Even though stock Samsung messaging app does not allow to do this, there is a solution for Samsung phones as well! It's an app called Pulse SMS. Looks nice and if you go into settings you see these options which allows me to do exactly I need. Toggles for Convert to MMS and Use groups MMS.

Screenshot_20170825-104653.pngScreenshot_20170825-104704.png

10 REPLIES 10
Techxpert
Cosmic Ray

Re: SMS to multiple recipients turns into MMS!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello. When a text is sent to multiple recipients it is always converted to a Multimedia Message. Every phone on the planet does this. The fortunate thing is that unless you are sending pictures, which are limited to a couple thousand KB per text, the messages will most likely take only a few KB to send and receive. I hope this helps you and have a great rest of your day.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userkM4M3kxmSB wrote:

Hello. When a text is sent to multiple recipients it is always converted to a Multimedia Message. Every phone on the planet does this. The fortunate thing is that unless you are sending pictures, which are limited to a couple thousand KB per text, the messages will most likely take only a few KB to send and receive. I hope this helps you and have a great rest of your day.

It is literally in the definition of the protocols SMS is two party. MMS allows for a lot more flexiblity. SMS is point to point no ifs ands or buts, if you expand the SMS protocl to include multiple recipients you have invented the MMS protocol.

MMS is a lot more flexible and a lot of old phones could not accept pictures but could accept MMS with multiple recipents. To make everyting confusing they still called their text message service SMS.

The long and short here is we are all wrong no matter what we do.

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I find this hard to believe. But if you say every phone on the planet does it... have you tested them all? Smiley Wink I am pretty sure my old phones did not behave like this. I am gonna test it next week with Xperia Z5 compact which I think did not have a problem with this and started a new conversation thread for each of the recipients. But I hope you do understand that to me this really looks like a manufacturer - carrier conspiracy to push people to use MMS, because there is NO technical limitation which would prevent the messaging app to just send that one sms x number of times to each recipient! It totally does not matter how the protocol works. The only thing I would worry about is how much it costs, which in my case of unlimited plan is not a problem. So the real help I expected here on the forum would be if somebody knew an SMS app which would overcome this weird limitation and saved me ten minutes of life spent by manually resending one message x number of times. Thanks in advance

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It appears that we are talking past each other. I thought your question was about MMS and SMS but it appears that you were concerned about a billing concern.

I will spare you the technical details since they are now what you wanted anyway.

You way want to consider another messaging tool if MMS is too expensive. Google Hangouts can create a virtual phone number to mimic the function of your phone's messaging app without you having to pay per message.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It appears that we are talking past each other. I thought your question was about MMS and SMS but it appears that you were concerned about a billing concern. You are absolutely right that each phone works with the limits of the protocols differently.

You way want to consider another messaging tool if MMS is too expensive. Google Hangouts can create a virtual phone number to mimic the function of your phone's messaging app without you having to pay per message.

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am sorry, somebody is deleting my replies here or what?? I replied on friday and now it's not here!

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Writing this again because it somehow disappeared.

I am sorry, but it seems my initial post was maybe too long for some to grasp :-] My concern is very simple: I want to be able to quickly and reliably message multiple people without spending too much time and finger tapping with it. Reasons to use SMS are clear and I already said it but let me make a summary:
- there are still people without a smartphone (hard to believe isn't it? Smiley Happy
- many people don't keep data connection on (to increase battery life for example)
- you don't need to think if to use hangouts, viber, whatsapp, facebook messenger, Duo or Allo because everybody is on different team anyway
- you can be sure that everybody with a phone has SMS enabled and it will come (unless the phone is off)
- as I said before (and tested) - many people don't have MMS enabled even if they have smartphone so they just don't receive your MMS even if you don't care how much it costs!
- if you send MMS to multiple recipients they all see the other people in it. Is there any kind of bcc field like in email to prevent this?
- Google hangouts is discoured (API is discontinued) in favor of new apps like Allo or Duo (google increasing it's comms app enthropy from some weird reasons...)
I hope I made myself clear now. I will test Pulse SMS if that can do it may be...
Highlighted
McVitas
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I just tested this on my friend's OnePlus 2. Sending a long SMS (multipart) with national characters to three recipients using a stock messaging app:

Screenshot_20170821-100037.pngScreenshot_20170821-100043.png

and they all received SMS. No problem. Message sent only once. That is how I remember it working also on my previous phones. When they reply a new thread appears for each contact.

McVitas
Cosmic Ray

solution for Galaxy phones

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, so I had a chance to test this on an Xperia Z5 compact finally. Yes it behaves as I remember - sends multiple concatenated SMS to each recipient.

Screenshot_20170825-094127.png

Even though stock Samsung messaging app does not allow to do this, there is a solution for Samsung phones as well! It's an app called Pulse SMS. Looks nice and if you go into settings you see these options which allows me to do exactly I need. Toggles for Convert to MMS and Use groups MMS.

Screenshot_20170825-104653.pngScreenshot_20170825-104704.png