cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmtechnical
Asteroid

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Do Not Disturb / Custom / Messages - set to NONE, lets all Texts notify through.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung Galaxy S8+ / Carrier: Verizon / Messaging App:  Default Samsung Messages

Hello. I am a tech, so I don't post this lightly. I see from my research, 2 hours on the phone with Verizon, and another directly with Samsung technical support, that there appears a serious issue, with Do Not Disturb, not functioning properly in Custom Settings. The option most chosen here, is to let Favorite Contacts telephone (and ring) through...  and Favorite Contacts message through (with audio notification of course).  So, the telephone portion of this option works fine, i.e. - non-favorited contacts won't wake you up... (or get through the audio firewall).

The problem is, the filration is NOT working. ALL messages notify through with sound - even when the option in Do Not Disturb (DND) is set to NONE.  Within the default Samsung Messages App, there is also an option to let DND Custom Messages notify through, but - no matter how this is set, messages who are NOT FAVORITES, continue to ring through. I have tired replacing Samsung Messages with Google Messages, and the behavior is exactly the same.

In a nutshell, DND works for calls, but NOT for text messages, when set to CUSTOM / Favorite Contacts Only - for each. There are a couple of old threads on this, but I see no clear resolution on them...  I have done a lot of testing, and am now at a loss how on to proceed further. Any advice or assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
cmtechnical
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Do Not Disturb / Custom / Messages - set to NONE, lets all Texts notify th...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

Thank you for the follow-up. I actually never solved the issue with any of Samsung's suggestions. The problem still completely exists and no solutions offered did anything - except cause me to waste my time. 

However, I solved the issue completely by using a different piece of software to replace the default DND program...

This app is called: Silence Premium: DO NOT DISTRURB, and is available in the app store. It nicely controls the volume via a schedule, or as commanded, and can be set only to ring or make noise for Favorited Contacts calls or texts.  It also has additional functions - the default Samsung DND does not .  The program is very easy to use, and installs perfectly on the S8+.

You can purchase it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabooze.buzzoff2

Regards,

~ Mic

22 REPLIES 22
Black Hole

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Do Not Disturb / Custom / Messages - set to NONE, lets all Texts notify th...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I get the following information?

Model Number

Baseband Version

Carrier 

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@cmtechnical: Just checking in to see if you were still in need of assistance. 

Highlighted
cmtechnical
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

Thank you for the follow-up. I actually never solved the issue with any of Samsung's suggestions. The problem still completely exists and no solutions offered did anything - except cause me to waste my time. 

However, I solved the issue completely by using a different piece of software to replace the default DND program...

This app is called: Silence Premium: DO NOT DISTRURB, and is available in the app store. It nicely controls the volume via a schedule, or as commanded, and can be set only to ring or make noise for Favorited Contacts calls or texts.  It also has additional functions - the default Samsung DND does not .  The program is very easy to use, and installs perfectly on the S8+.

You can purchase it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabooze.buzzoff2

Regards,

~ Mic

useryUw8SICJOo
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issues with my Note 8.  I will look at the silence app.  Thx

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useryUw8SICJOo May I ask what apps you're still receiving notifications from when it's set to DND? Also, just to clarify, is the phone actually ringing, or just vibrating? 

userBrpemBFhMt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem, just had a text at 6 a.m. that woke me up!  I have my phone set to custome for favorite contacts only.  Ridiculous that you want notifications for emergencies but still regular texts from people who are up at 6 a.m. on Sunday want to chat....

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userBrpemBFhMt Thanks for reaching out. Does this happen in safe mode?

userBrpemBFhMt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I haven't tried in safe mode. Why would that matter?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userBrpemBFhMt By booting into Safe Mode you'll only load the original software that came with your phone. So if there are no issues while the phone is in Safe Mode, you know the problem is one or more downloaded apps and they should be uninstalled.