cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TOGgledShot
Cosmic Ray

Samsung Galaxy S8+ fingerprint reader stops working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I responded to another thread, but that thread is already solved, so I am creating a new thread so I can gather a potential solution faster.

Original response to @SamsungTrevor, just slightly modified.

My Fingerprint reader on the back of my S8+ has stopped reading my finger for the 2nd time.

I went through and Wiped the Cache in the Recovery Mode - Did not help.

Error I get is: "An error has occured with the fingerpring sensor.  If this message appears repeatedly, restart your phone."

I have restarted my phone, this has not helped.

I went through and tried the Safe Mode trick.  Unable to make changes to the fingerprint security feature.  Received the same error message as above.

I also went in app services and Forced Stopped the service from running and updated all my apps.  This also didn't work.

The only thing that DID help was Factory Resetting my phone.  After the reset, my fingerprint reader worked fine for another month, and now it doesn't work again.  I bet if I factory reset it again it will work again, but there has to be a better way.

I don't have many apps on my phone (even before the reset), and only 1 app that actually utilized the fingerprint reader. (Chase banking app)  I have uninstalled all apps from my phone that have the capability of utilizing the fingerprint reader, but this hasn't worked either.

Seems to me there is something in the operating system that is causing it to fail.

Model: SM-G955U

Hardware version: Rev 1.0

Android Version: 8.0.0

Samsung Experience version: 9.0

Android security patch level: April 1, 2018

I hope there is someone out there with a potential fix to this as it's getting really annoying.

Smiley Happy

Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TOGgledShot
Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ fingerprint reader stops working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, here is the deal.  Literally last night at around 9 or 10pm my phone received a Software Update from Verizon.

The Verizon Software update: 

Software Version: R16NW.G955USQS3CRE2

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-05-01

The current software update gives you the most up to date Android security patches on your device.

Updated: 05/24/2018

After the update, I immediately checked the fingerprint reader and it is working.

I'm not sure if this update was to fix the fingerprint reader problem.  Since this issue has been happening over the course of 3 months, I can't be sure.

Baseband Version:

G955USQS3CRE2

For now the issue is resolved, but since it is the second time it has broken we will see.

6 REPLIES 6
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I'm sorry to see this, @TOGgledShot. Would you mind providing us with your Baseband Version? You can find this information by going to Settings > About Phone > Software information, I'd like to see if this happens on our lab devices running this version.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

TOGgledShot
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, here is the deal.  Literally last night at around 9 or 10pm my phone received a Software Update from Verizon.

The Verizon Software update: 

Software Version: R16NW.G955USQS3CRE2

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-05-01

The current software update gives you the most up to date Android security patches on your device.

Updated: 05/24/2018

After the update, I immediately checked the fingerprint reader and it is working.

I'm not sure if this update was to fix the fingerprint reader problem.  Since this issue has been happening over the course of 3 months, I can't be sure.

Baseband Version:

G955USQS3CRE2

For now the issue is resolved, but since it is the second time it has broken we will see.

TOGgledShot
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungTrevor Thanks for the attention to the ticket.  I'm gonna go ahead and accept the solution on this ticket for now.  If this pops up again, I will re-open and continue further troubleshooting.

Name_please
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been having the same problem recently and I still haven't found a solution

userQRmyx71XVG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This issue started for me with Chase app just today.  Other than unlocking the phone, I only use the finger print scanner for Chase app.  I am at a loss as to what to do.  HELP please

usersUunsHf2et
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue. Not a very good solution.  Shouldn't really be marked as solved.  I have the issue with Verizon s8, most recent update, my wife has is with her Verizon note9. Every couple weeks we have to delete the app and reinstall to get it working for a little while.  Maybe if Verizon ever gave us Android 8.1 it would help. Not sure that will ever happen.