cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

Samsung pay connection error

JUMP TO SOLUTION
When opening Samsung Pay app and clicking "Start >" - I receive the following error:

"Connection error

Unable to connect to Samsung Pay temporarily. Try again later."

This is on the screen where it says "Your Samsung ID: email@domain.com" with my correct email address.

I contacted Samsung pay support and they recommended reinstalling samsung pay app and clearing caches on the app as well as the framework app. No change. They said they'd call me back. I called them back after not hearing back for 2 weeks and the support person literally just told me to wait longer.

My support ticket number is: SPAY1706090776

IMEI  and baseband information can be found in the ticket. Phone is purchased in US from bestbuy.

I read online about phone needing to be decrypted but there is no such option on s8+. I desperately tried removing all security pins and biometrics to no avail.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as Samsung Pay was a major factor in my decision to buy S8+. It has not worked for me since day 1.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

Re: Samsung pay connection error

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After not getting solution anywhere, I read that some people have solved problems with Samsung pay by a factory reset. I decided to go for it as I had no hopes of any resolution from Samsung pay's useless support.

It took a lot of time and effort backing up, restoring, and setting up everything again but it paid off. Samsung pay worked for me for the first time!

I recommend anyone with this or similar issue on US unlocked s8/s8+ to try factory reset. And don't let anybody tell you that Samsung pay does not work on US unlocked phones. Even some support people at Samsung Pay helpline may tell you so. They are wrong. It works.

However, when I was adding my second card, the phone crashed and restarted abruptly. Now I cannot add that card as it says it is already registered but it was not completely registered(due to phone crashing) and does not show up. A Google search revealed another person had same problem and of course the problem was never resolved by Samsung Pay support.

I have little, if any hope for resolutiom of this new problem. I might never be able to use that card with samsung pay. Unfortunately it is my primary card.

Bottom line is - samsung pay support is trash and their product is full of problems. They don't seem to understand their own product. 

Edit: I solved the new issue by using the reset app option in Samsung Pay setting. It deleted all Samsung Pay data. I was able to add my cards again after that. 

34 REPLIES 34
user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bump

Anybody? Moderators?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @user29hjvRKyhX

Woo, sorry! It's been one busy week.  XD

Anyway, can I get the exact model number for your device? I know that Best Buy can, and often does, sell unlocked or even out of region devices if they just happen to get one in. Those could be reasons this feature isn't working though.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv

Model number: SM-G955U1

Baseband and IMEI are included in support ticket if you want to check that. It is US version. I did not buy the international version. I am 100% sure because I waited and purchased on the launch date for US version. Samsung's website and bestbuy were the only channels to buy this phone on launch day. I am also confident that samsung pay is supposed to work on this device because it was advertised and preloaded. Also, other people report it to be working. The phone is under US warranty.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ah, yep. Looks like that is the unlocked model. A US model yes, but unlocked still. Makes it super nice to take into any carrier you want, but it does tend to stop Samsung Pay from working. Any foreign, unlocked, or modified device is pretty much instantly stopped from working with that feature. Not my choice of course, not even Samsung's really. The banks and credit card companies insisted as a safety measure to protect your accounts and money.  =/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, the device is just carrier unlocked. And it was made unlocked by samsung itself to be sold in US. I am pretty sure samsung pay is intended to work on this device. 

As far as security is concerned, unlocked means bootloader or oem unlocked. This should not be confused with carrier unlocked. Carrier unlocked phones are by no means unsecure, oem or boorloader unlocked phones are. Even android pay dosent work on oem unlocked phones but works perfectly on carrier unlocked phones. So banks and card asking this is a broken argument as same banks and cards do work with android pay.

There is confirmation online from various websites and people that samsung pay does work on official carrier unlocked phones launched by samsung in US. In fact, it is a selling point and is also advertised and pre installed on the phone. Even US unlocked s7 has always worked with samsung pay.

@SamsungViv

@SamsungMarcos has also acknowledged that US carrier unlocked s8+ does work with samsung pay. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Perhaps if you contact Samsung Pay support directly, they can assist or at least tell you when that error is happening. 1-800-726-7864 should help you out.  Smiley Happy

user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv, that is what I did first.

First time they told me it does not work on unlocked thing. That is when I researched more about it and called again. This time the support guy understood and agreed with me and started a ticket.

Ticket Number: SPAY1706090776
Ticket Date: June 9, 2017

Called to follow up on June 23, no resolution. No support. No follow up. Nothing.

That is when I decided to try posting here. Can anybody get my issue forwarded to the concerned department, team or person who is capable and interested in solving it?

user29hjvRKyhX
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After not getting solution anywhere, I read that some people have solved problems with Samsung pay by a factory reset. I decided to go for it as I had no hopes of any resolution from Samsung pay's useless support.

It took a lot of time and effort backing up, restoring, and setting up everything again but it paid off. Samsung pay worked for me for the first time!

I recommend anyone with this or similar issue on US unlocked s8/s8+ to try factory reset. And don't let anybody tell you that Samsung pay does not work on US unlocked phones. Even some support people at Samsung Pay helpline may tell you so. They are wrong. It works.

However, when I was adding my second card, the phone crashed and restarted abruptly. Now I cannot add that card as it says it is already registered but it was not completely registered(due to phone crashing) and does not show up. A Google search revealed another person had same problem and of course the problem was never resolved by Samsung Pay support.

I have little, if any hope for resolutiom of this new problem. I might never be able to use that card with samsung pay. Unfortunately it is my primary card.

Bottom line is - samsung pay support is trash and their product is full of problems. They don't seem to understand their own product. 

Edit: I solved the new issue by using the reset app option in Samsung Pay setting. It deleted all Samsung Pay data. I was able to add my cards again after that. 

useriUk1VkjA02
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

user29hjvRKyhX's fix worked for me as well.  I did not want to do a factory reset but I tried everything else with no luck.