Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Halo

Re: Samsung's Contacts Won't Sync with Google Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungGill ,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but was gone yesterday.

Well, I "disocnnected" my Google Account and then reconnected (only did this for my main account as the other one has no contacts in it) and I hit Sync Now  When I had the Google Account Reconnected and I get Sync is currently experiencing problems; it will be back shortly under People details.  I tried this several times and got the same error

I still have the same problem I reported earlier

What else?

Thanks

Al
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Give these steps a try: 

Make sure Android-Sync is activated on your phone. In order to do this, go to Settings > Data usage > Menu and see if Auto-sync data is checked. Even if it is, try turning it off and on a few times.

Make sure Google Contacts sync is turned on. Go to Settings > Accounts > Google and select the account you’re using. Make sure Contacts is checked. Again, even though it is, turn it off then on again a few times.

Make sure that Background Data is enabled. If restricted, some apps or features will not work unless you’re connected to a WiFi network. Go to Settings > Data Usage > Menu and see if “Restrict background data” is selected or not.

Clear both app cache and data for Google Contacts. Go to Settings > Apps Manager, then swipe to All and choose Contact Sync. Select Clear cache and clear data.

Remove your Google Account and set everything up once again. Go to Settings > Accounts > Google and select the account you’re having issues with. Choose the Remove account option, then go through the setup process one more time.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAdam ,

Thanks for the reply.

Let me start by saying that I have Android Pie (9.0) on my S8 thatnks to my carrier's over the air update a little while ago.

Having said that, the only DATA USAGE I can find is CONNECTIONS, DATA USAGE amd under that is nothing like you describe, rather really only about using data

As for Contacts, I am using the Samsung Contacts that came with the phone; in the past I was easily able to sync contacts I had in GMail (and later in Google Contacts, BUT not now

As I said above, going to SETTINGS, ACCOUNTS and BACKUP, ACCOUNTS and I keep getting the same problem, even after removing and restoring my Google Account

The only thing I can think to do is very intensive and that is to compare the Contacts in my phone to Google Contacts and then add or delete from phone individually -- UGH!

Al
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would recommend trying to reach out to Google directly to see if they are able to provide you with further troubleshooting steps.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My problem has been solved with your keyword "Restrict background data"

I tried to turn off the power saving mode => "Restrict background data" will be turned off also. => manually sync in the account menu.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Analyzing the code of Android I found a way to system work.

1 Sign out of Google Account

2 Sign out Samsung Account

Then

1 Log In Google Account

After this step you'll see the options to Sync.

2 Log In Samsung Account

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was having similar problems and I just figured out the solution for me.  I noticed that under Accounts in my Google account that the date-time contacts last synced was the time I plugged my phone in to charge.  Sure enough, I experimented and found that a manual "sync contacts now" only works if phone is plugged in.  I think my phone is not set for auto syncing everything.  I forget why I did that long ago.  None of my other Google apps need explicit syncing. I use 3rd party apps with api's.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this issue but only for my G Suite account not for the Google (gmail) account set up for the Android device.

I was going to just download the Google Contacts app and use that instead

I like the dark mode and interface better with the Samsung native Contacts app better.

Before removing the Samsung Contacts App , I downloaded the Google Contacts one.

Within Google Contacts, under Settings, there is a Manage Contacts section

I tapped on Restore

and you can choose an account. I only chose the G suite account to start with since before the other email accounts (the personal ones are outlook and those were already Synced to Samsung Contacts)

Turns out, that ended up syncing the contacts in G suite into the Samsung Contacts app too.

So I use the Samsung one on the home screen and have the Google Contacts off the Home screeen but in the Apps library in the background as a "tether" to between G Suite and Samsung Contacts.

Still don't understand why though since as I said the other gmail account already appeared under the accounts section of the Samsung Contacts app.

Anyway, not the g suite one does too and is working.

(NOTE: Samsung and Google Support services were not helpful in solving this issue)

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome

Thanks

-------------------------------------Signature------------------------------------------

[US only] Save on your online purchases with the cashback site trusted by 10 million users