cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonWTIue4zNch
Cosmic Ray

Secure folder using background data & background data allowed on a data restricted app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Secure folder is using background data. Why is a app using alot of background data when data restriction is turned on?  Also i just noticed i have 2 secure folders listed. Secure folder #1 is using background data and i dont have the option to restrict it. secure folder #2 is not using any data and i have the option to restrict data. Ive tried to include screenshots but i cant for some reason. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DarthVoda
Cosmic Ray

Re: Secure folder using background data & background data allowed on a data restricted app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do not intend to personally attack you, or anyone else, with my comments. I hope you don't take them that way. But please look at this from where we are sitting: an excellent question was asked in the OP: why is an app using background data when that specific app is set to be restricted from that very activity? (A second question, equally deserving of an answer, is why does two of these apps appear in the list of apps that use mobile data, or wifi data?).

Not only is the response from Samsung reps unhelpful (which is to uninstall/reinstall the app doing this), but the guidance that is referenced doesn't even contain the steps to execute that useless advice. I know, because I tried that myslef already, a while ago, and still saw this happening. I have since disabled secure folder (my only option that resembles uninstalling it, cuz I can't do that), and that seems to have finally stopped this problem. Yet, I cannot use it, without allowing that background data being used, apparently. And this app is not alone, in it's insubordination. Facebook App Manager and Facebook App Installer are other examples of background data usage that I am utterly powerless to stop. There are more examples. Most are innate Samsung apps, or system apps, and none of them can be uninstalled. The question is begged: why does restricting their usage of mobile/wifi data have no effect on their using our data?

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
userTFaMC8hAqL
Constellation

Re: Secure folder using background data & background data allowed on a data restricted app

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Spoiler

I really would like an answer for this as well. My secure folder has used a ton of data both in the foreground and background.

47.56 gb foreground

13.71 gb background

What's up with that?? I also do not, as far as I know have my settings so it backs my stuff up one cloud

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good afternoon @userTFaMC8hAqL

What model phone do you have? And do you have any applications that you have moved to your Secure Folder?

userTFaMC8hAqL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model- SM-G950U

And I have no apps in the folders.. i only have pictures in the secure gallery.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good afternoon Community,

Has anyone else noticed data use by their secure folder?

JasonWTIue4zNch
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why do i have 2 different Secure folders showing in the list of apps that is shown under the data usage by app tab?  I had posted a link to a screenshot that showed the 2 different Secure folders listed but apparently Samsung has removed that post with the link to the screenshot.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/o3PcAo6EzVQ8pAo32

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, has anyone tried to uninstall and reinstall the secure folders and settings.  http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=710079&modelname=SM-...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

DarthVoda
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also cannot use any hyperlink that appears within this Samsung+ app; it crashes every time I try hitting one. This has been a problem for a long time, and seems to be unimportant to the developers of this software....

I also cannot highlight the link, by long pressing on it, in order to copy/paste it into a browser that works properly. The only way for me to view any linked content or site in this app (aside from manually inputting every character into a browser) is to hit the settings T the upper right corner of whatever post contains the link, select Email to a Friend, email a link to the post to myself, then open my email, hit that link to go to the website view of that post with that link, and then I can successfully use it. It would make more sense to just access this forum from my web browser, rather than this app. But hey, since I am blocked from uninstalling it, I might as well give Samsung the benefit of the doubt that this longstanding issue will get resolved. Hard to keep that going, given recent trends by the company towards ignoring customers many complaints and offering unhelpful advice, when they do open their fat mouths....

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@DarthVoda  wrote:

I also cannot use any hyperlink that appears within this Samsung+ app; it crashes every time I try hitting one. This has been a problem for a long time, and seems to be unimportant to the developers of this software....

I also cannot highlight the link, by long pressing on it, in order to copy/paste it into a browser that works properly. The only way for me to view any linked content or site in this app (aside from manually inputting every character into a browser) is to hit the settings T the upper right corner of whatever post contains the link, select Email to a Friend, email a link to the post to myself, then open my email, hit that link to go to the website view of that post with that link, and then I can successfully use it. It would make more sense to just access this forum from my web browser, rather than this app. But hey, since I am blocked from uninstalling it, I might as well give Samsung the benefit of the doubt that this longstanding issue will get resolved. Hard to keep that going, given recent trends by the company towards ignoring customers many complaints and offering unhelpful advice, when they do open their fat mouths....

it was sent from pc, i know about the worthless samsung plus app that wont open links

DarthVoda
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do not intend to personally attack you, or anyone else, with my comments. I hope you don't take them that way. But please look at this from where we are sitting: an excellent question was asked in the OP: why is an app using background data when that specific app is set to be restricted from that very activity? (A second question, equally deserving of an answer, is why does two of these apps appear in the list of apps that use mobile data, or wifi data?).

Not only is the response from Samsung reps unhelpful (which is to uninstall/reinstall the app doing this), but the guidance that is referenced doesn't even contain the steps to execute that useless advice. I know, because I tried that myslef already, a while ago, and still saw this happening. I have since disabled secure folder (my only option that resembles uninstalling it, cuz I can't do that), and that seems to have finally stopped this problem. Yet, I cannot use it, without allowing that background data being used, apparently. And this app is not alone, in it's insubordination. Facebook App Manager and Facebook App Installer are other examples of background data usage that I am utterly powerless to stop. There are more examples. Most are innate Samsung apps, or system apps, and none of them can be uninstalled. The question is begged: why does restricting their usage of mobile/wifi data have no effect on their using our data?

View solution in original post