cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IWonder
Constellation

Slow charging -- but only when USB connected

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I heiste starting a new thread as I realize there are a ton of them discussing the S8’s slow charging issue. But I can’t find any online reference to my specific issue: slow charging ONLY via USB.

Only recently (for the past week) has my two month old S8+ begun charging very slowly when connected via USB (home PC and/or USB/cigarette lighter in car). When connected to a wall outlet it still charges quickly. (This may not seem like a huge issue to many. But I work in my car 12 hours a day -- and I need my phone charged!)

Researching the Internet about this slow-charging problem I’ve tried all the “tips and tricks” I’ve read: clean out the charging port, try a different cable, restart the phone in safe mode, clean cache, make sure fast-charging is enabled, et al. Yesterday I even bought another, overpriced Samsung OEM cable. Nothing helps.

Why would my phone continue to charge at a good rate when connected to a wall outlet but has recently experienced a major slow-down when charging via USB?

Thoughts, ideas, assistance appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Slow charging -- but only when USB connected

JUMP TO SOLUTION

More often then not the plug is what causes the fast charge, not the cable. There are some fast charging plugs for the car, like THIS one, but they aren't as common as the wall plugs.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @IWonder

Considering all the steps you've tried, I only really have 2 other things I can suggest. The first would be a Factory Reset. I know that's a pain, but you've done everything else already. The only other option would be to send the device in to a have an evaluation and possible repair to fix this. Since the first thing the repair center would do is a Factory Reset anyway, it's better to try it yourself before hand.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I dont know how it was fast charging when connected with pc or car. fast charging works only with fast charging plugs. pc and car don't have fast charging capability.

IWonder
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a question which, in retrospect, I should have included in my original post.  Might my device have an "issue" or does everyone's devices charge much slower via USB?  Maybe I'm normal and just don't realize it.

FYI To fully charge from say 40% to 100% takes about one hour when charging via electrical outlet and about four hours via (car or PC) USB.  Is that normal?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

More often then not the plug is what causes the fast charge, not the cable. There are some fast charging plugs for the car, like THIS one, but they aren't as common as the wall plugs.

View solution in original post