cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

So many questions about taking & storing photos & videos

Where to start? Say I take a picture with my Galaxy S8+. That picture is saved to my Gallery and it automatically syncs with OneDrive. Great! Eventually my phone gets full and I want to delete the photo from my internal storage, but not from OneDrive.

This leads to Problem #1 - when I delete a photo from my Gallery it also deletes from OneDrive. How can I delete a picture or video from my Gallery without having it also delete from OneDrive?

Problem #2 - Under the "My Files" app I have a few dozen movies. These movies do not appear in OneDrive. Again, I want to free up space on my phone, but I can't delete these movies because they are not backed up on OneDrive, and I can't figure out how to move them over.

Problem #3 - I can't figure out how to set up my phone so pictures are ONLY stored to OneDrive, not my internal storage.

Problem #4 - I can't figure out how to move files into OneDrive. The only method that works is to take a photo and have it automatically sync. How can I move other files to OneDrive?

I must be getting old because this user interface is frustating and counter-intuitive. Any help would be appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: So many questions about taking & storing photos & videos

I won't be much help because I don't use OneDrive but as far as #3 if the pictures were only stored on OneDrive they probably wouldn't show in Gallery. That's the problem I have with saving pictures or videos on the SD card on my s20 ultra. They'll save there but they won't appear in the gallery unless I save them on the phone as well. The only thing I've been able to get to show in Gallery that's saved only on the SD card are photos taken with the phones camera.
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Wow, I would say that Problem #1 is definitely an issue. I definitely thought that once they were on OneDrive they wouldn't leave until you deleted them directly from OneDrive. Here is the Microsoft article on that issue -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/samsung-gallery-and-onedrive-99c4e77b-8e63-4ddc-aede-19f8...

Problem #2 & #4 - Here's how you can put your files in OneDrive.

1. In My files, make sure that OneDrive is listed in the available storage items and logged in appropriately.
  2. In My files long press on the video until you see the "Move" (or Copy)icon on the bottom of the screen.
  3. Ensure that your video(s) is selected and click Move (or Copy).
  4. Use the controls at the top of the screen to navigate back to the top level and select OneDrive in the list of available storage.
  5. If you want a subfolder, you can click into one or create a new one and click into that.
  6. You can then click the "Move here" at the bottom of the screen to move the video. As long as you don't put it in the default folder used by the Gallery sync it won't get deleted. 
Highlighted

you can connect your phone to your computer if you have a sd card in the phone move everything you want to keep on the sd or set the phone to store photos and videos to your sd automatically. I can't own a phone 📱 without a micro SD card in it. Good luck.