Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
d4m4g3
Constellation

Software Problems and Feedback after Pie Update on Galaxy S8

Hi guys,

I have an unlocked Galaxy S8 almost from when it came out, great phone! With Android 7 and 8 it was all good most of the time, without significant problems or battery drain. Now Android 9 Pie came out, it looks like a good update but it has it's problems, and also comes without a few but important options.

ISSUES: 

1. The dialer. An annoying one, on dialer screen when I call anybody or receive a call, it appears the name of the person and under it it's number which flashes rapidly to the contry of origin and back: number/country, many times per second. If it was bigger it looks like it could start a seizure. On any of the previous updates this wasn't a problem. I can't even read the country/number because it flashes soooo fast. A factory reset didn't resolve the problem. 

2. Battery life. I had my phone for 1.5 years on the original battery, started to degrade, but 2 months ago I changed it in warranty, so I got to see Oreo with the new battery and it was sooooooo good! It lasted A LOT. And now, after ~3 weeks with Pie, the battery life is a lot worse. Even after a factory reset, with the same apps, settings. And I know the battery it's new, the same type of usage is present, but the battery life is much worse.

3. There's no RECORD VIDEO button in camera. This was on previous versions of Android a life saver! You could quickly record videos in any more, front or back camera, and even in PRO mode. Now you can't do that, you need to first open the camera, switch to the video mode which in the new Apple-like design takes 2 seconds (much longer), then press the record video button. Previously you could snap a video in one second from the locked screen, and it had the ability to record in PRO mode. Now there's the change camera button there, which is redundant to the swipe up gesture, but the more useful record video is gone. We need options, fastness, and that is the record video button back, not redundancy like two options to switch cameras.

So PLEASE, bring back at least the option to add RECORD VIDEO button instead of the change front/back cameras button. At least like an option!

And I find the whole camera experience much worse on Android Pie (One UI). It's slower, changing modes was WAAAYYY FASTER in the old pick-from-the-menu style, because while tapping for the preffered mode, the camera mode changed without any lag/delay, like now in this new update when it has a 2-second out-of-focus delay/lag. And no, this is not an issue on my device, it's on all of them, I tested with many other S8's.

55 REPLIES 55
userl4ObkgKC3K
Astronaut

Re: Software Problems and Feedback after Pie Update on Galaxy S8

I just updated my phone and didn't even see the change to the camera until you mentioned it. Honestly, this update has just made me want to cry. 

I absolutely hate the changes to the look of the apps and wish that I could choose to keep their previous looks if I wanted to! Most of the new looks are terrible in my opinion. Besides my despair over the purely aesthetic portion of the update, changes to the UI that I neither wanted nor needed actually make using my phone HARDER because I have already acclimatized to a certain setup.

Software updates always seem to be the worst part about my phone for me and I'm planning on setting myself a reminder to stop doing them or look at the changes EXTENSIVELY first.

user4Vo9dcHd1y
Astronaut

Many of the Samsung unique features are gone, like the quick multiscreen gesture, hide navigation bar button, video record button, long press menu button for multiscreen. Why should I stick with Samsung if all these features are gone. 

Windows will have its phone companion soon , to replace the Samsung flow app.

Android q will have desktop function to replace Samsung Dex...

Google alarm somehow can replace the bixby voice alarm... 

Plus the Android 9 update slow down the whole phone ....

userLn2xdyc8WP
Asteroid

To resolve all the aesthetics of the updates, I switched to a different launcher.  I hated the fact after every system update, my wallpaper and customizations would be reset.  I switched to Smart Launcher.  Unfortunately it doesn't resolve the problems Pie is having with notification delays, camera changes, etc, but for the aesthetics, I does fix that.  And I like the ability to customize how my screen looks more than the default UI allows (I only want 2 apps on my lock screen) and I don't like my Home screen looking like everyone elses.  I prefer a circle interface instead of everything is square and rectangular.  Smart Launcher allows that control.  Double click functionaity is a nice touch too.

userNoOIGbMO5C
Constellation

Battery life is absolutely brutal now since installing the update and even having charging issues with it. What a coincidence that they make a big push for the Samsung s10 and at the same time the new update actually makes the s8 worse. Might be time to switch back to iphone after 10 years since i first switched to android... i cant stand this stuff.
useroI2mgXrt5M
Constellation

Never had a battery problem with my S8 until today... an hour after the update.  Remember Apple got caught altering phone speeds and draining batteries to force people to purchase a new phone.

I use a program that exports a simple txt file.  For the last 4479 days I have had no problems.  After the update, it no longer exports a valid txt file.  It look like it is but is no good.

Give me back OREO...

Tom

users2sGDBhsH4
Astronaut

soooooo for the last 12 years 3 months and 1 week you had no problems .... hmmmmmm i dont think the phone has been out that long lol but i get what your saying lol

userOibBSDeJwW
Constellation

Pie is horrabile!  So many issues.   Extra screens got added but I cannot remove them.

The header in the message doesn't stay small it drops when you scroll done.. that STINKS!

missing the emoilj  incon in the messageing .. instead it is the stickers!!!  STUPID MOVE.

My top bar on the home screen use to stay there with the time etc. now that disapears... I liked it there..

Battery use to last me at least 2 days.... now..  within a couple or so hours after a full charge it is down to 60%... AGAIN STUPID MOVE...!!  I hear Google pixle is better. Even though you get android OS or Chrome OS the Samsung isn't in the rollout of the new OS.   I wish there was an easy way to downgrade the OS.... If anyone knows of a EASY way not a bunch of  do this then do that.  Let me know Please.... 

useraWL0jDHBUY
Constellation

I noticed after the update my fingerprint has stopped being recognized. It's been very annoying. I dont like the interface of the new update either. Not a fan.

userQHVUKlAfyA
Constellation

I can not send or receive MMS messages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I phoned Xfinity (my mobile provider and the only reason I have a Samsung device) No real help:  suggested I reset my wireless network, or try a different messaging app. No use, did not help and now I'm stuck in this situration till Samsung fixes thing. So afraid that might cause more problems.