cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Re: Text Messages Disappearing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Note 8 is doing this. It's the factory text app and everything. Nothing helps.It's just with one person though 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here. Note 8 and just one contact who is also an Android user. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the EXACT same problem since I purchased the note 8 in Feb. I just was sent a replacement phone and still am having this issue. So over these issues that are not being addressed fixed!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem here.  Seems to be happening with only one contact, another phone on my plan with an S8.  Happened both before and after the update to Android 8 on my S7.  Sometimes starting a new message would bring the thread back, but not all the time.

I first noticed an issue with this contact when the thread was always sorted to the bottom of the list even though the messages on it were the most recent.  The message preview showing on the list was an older message, not the most recent.  After a few weeks of that, the thread just started disappearing.

This is a critical issue that needs to be resolved quickly.  However, after more than six months of complaints, the only thing we've gotten is "clear your cache."   DO SOMETHING SAMSUNG.  If it persists too long, I will switch to another brand of phone.

Although none of the messages I've lost are overly "important" previous posters have indicated theirs were.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue with my S8. Started happening a few weeks ago. I also stopped getting notifications of texts. No sounds for texts for about 2 months now..It makes me sad!

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps offered on the thread?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I get your full model code, baseband version, and carrier information?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had the same problem but found that if you go to settings in the messages app and go to more settings and uncheck, delete old messages it should work. Obviously your old messages are gone but shouldn't delete the new ones.

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userEPBSexJrNZ: Thank you for sharing Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok Samsung users & Samsung support listen up!

Here is what we know:

1. This is affecting potentially ALL Samsung users, regardless of Model#, Version#, Build, or OS version.

2. This is affecting users with some update dating back from 3 weeks ago (Mid June 2018 to Mid June 2017)

3. The clearing cache only works for a handful of situations and is NOT a permanent fix.

4. The solution offered to change "Delete Old Message" to "OFF" or "Keep messages Forever" to "ON" does work.

5. The Factory reset works because it reverts it to prior the update. However it will come right back after said update. (which is forced if you do not manually take it after a time-frame. So have fun with that.)

Therefore we can infer the following:

1. This update has an adverse affect on messages in the Samsung message app.

2. Switching that setting to keep all of your messages is actually working.

3. This update has altered it from removing the "OLDEST" to the "NEWEST" in its code level, and sporadically. Meaning, sometimes it will delete the newest, sometimes the oldest. This has been confirmed by my wife & myself with numerous testing (Both on Galaxy S7 with latest Samsung updates).

4. For senders of Samsung phones: In other words, when you type & send a message (Text or Image), you stand a roughly 50% chance that it will in fact delete THAT "newest" message due to that setting and NOT send that message. Almost as if you never sent it in the first place.

5A. For recipients of Samsung phones: 50% chance of not receiving that message from SAMSUNG phone sender due to it being auto-deleted due to that setting for the "newest" message.

5B. Upon receipt of ANY message from ANY other type of phone, you still stand a 50% chance of the message being auto-deleted due to that setting. YES, this includes senders using iPhones. You are not immune just because you have an iPhone. Yet it will only impact the Samsung phone owner.

In Summary:

1. Apparently Samsung has not figured this out yet, nor has a fix for it .. yet.

2. Once they have a fix for it, it will likely come with another update. And hopefully will not break other things or make matters worse.

3. Until such time for that fix/update, IF you own a Samsung phone and want to ensure your messages are being sent and received: 

Change that setting. Then tell your friend or family member to do the same if they own a Samsung phone.

(How to: Settings gear from top / home menu >> Apps or Applications >> "Messages" app >> Gear top right >> More Settings >> CHANGE (Delete Old Messages) to OFF -OR- CHANGE (Keep Messages Forever) to ON)

4. Samsung Techs - stop wasting your time with asking the same scripted questions. This is wasting yours and customers' time. DO - get the Engineers attention to LOOK at the code level that deletes Oldest vs Newest message in the message app, specific to forced/automatic Samsung updates.

5. For those who are going to change this setting, a warning. Yes this will consume more data (storage space). The amount of time it will take to max out your storage space depends on how much you have, how many images you send or receive. If it is mostly texts, a very very long time. However it is possible for someone who sends/receives a ton of images to run out of storage fairly fast 6 months to maybe a few years? If you are just a casual texter, then you will more likely replace your phone before you run out of space due to messages. Once Samsung gives us the fix via an update, you can then switch this setting back to preserve storage space.

6. This is to the Samsung Engineering team:

If you ask me, look specifically in the code level pertaining to "Reading confirmation" setting. The reason for this, is with this setting on or off, we have noticed it is ALWAYS on/1, and is set to a temp queue and checking to see if recipient has read this message. The key is the Time_Stamp. We have noticed that with this feature of "Reading confirmation" - newest messages lack a time_stamp. When the setting for "Delete_Old_Messages" - ON/1 or "Keep_Messages_Forever) - Off/0 >>> this then looks through the Message_Queue for the oldest message when it runs its Delete_OldestMessage_Execute command the message missing the Time-stamp may be a qualifier and deletes it.

If it has a time-stamp, when this script is run, it bypasses it and deletes the oldest message.

Please either fix the script to ignore the null Time_Stamp -OR-

Fix the code to incorporate the null Time_Stamp

This is my theory at least.

A little about me: I have been in IT for 20+ years. Programming since 11; C, C++, C#, Java, HTML, Visual Basic, Basic, Pascal, Assembly etc. and more recently iOS & Android using Swift and X-Code.

I truly hope this helps both affected end-users & Samsung.

If my theories are wrong, please let me know in a constructive manner.

Kind Regards & God Bless everyone.

John M.