Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userJM33t2PWsj
Constellation

Re: Text Messages Disappearing

Model Number: SM-N950U

Baseband Version: N950USQS4CRE1

Carrier: Verizon

Mine did this today for the first time. Please HELP!!!

They were two of the largest text threads and a lot of media was transferred, a lot of information lost. Please fix this!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

If your messages are deleting, try rebooting your phone in safe mode. Safe mode will disable all third-party apps that may cause this. If you navigate to your messages, click the three dots at the top right corner you should then see a list of settings. Go to more setting and yes, make sure delete old messages is turned off.

To get into safe mode, just do the following:

• Power your device down
  • Then power it back on
  • Press and hold the Volume Down key when you see the Samsung logo until the phone is powered on. 

Let me know how this works.

Supernova

Under the message settings do you have it set to "keep messages forever"?

userJM33t2PWsj
Constellation

Where do I find that? I have "delete old messages" but that deletes after 1000 text or 100 multimedia 

userxyE3ox640t
Astronaut

I am using the messages app on the phone.  nothing fancy - all apps are up to do.  Phone is a G7thinq.  Just happened to one of my contacts but all of my messages (about 2 years worth) are now gone.

Highlighted
Nebula

@userxyE3ox640t have you tried the steps below?

@userd21M3RmV2R wrote:

In the messages, click on the settings and see if it will restore the messages. There's a button that says restore messages so I hope it works for you.

userX4ObcrHDtj
Astronaut

There's no place on my phone in messages settings that says that.

Honored Contributor

Getting back messages that were deleted for some reason might be possible through a backup, the steps I mentioned was to help prevent it from happening again. The fact that it happened again, but it was a restart while using a different app might mean it has a connection to that. Try clearing the cache and data on the Chrome app, maybe even avoid using it for a while if possible to see if it happens again.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Joshadow
Constellation

Literally having the same problem on my galaxy s8plus, 2 seperate conversations i am having with people in my contacts list continue to vanish for some reason, everything is up to date, message cache is cleared. What the hell..

Elsa
Constellation

I am constantly loosing messages on the s7 at&t messsging app.  How do I retrieve them, as i am desperately needing them for a court case. 

I text a lot and only have 15 texts in my message files.