cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user6B1T1oN7Z7
Asteroid

Themes no longer work correctly with latest update!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So. Just got done chatting with Samsung technical support and letting them take control remotely of my phone. 

After updating my Samsung Galaxy 8 to the new update that just came out (March 29, 2019), I noticed all the themes no longer work correctly,  mostly unusable.

This new update added multiple new screens and also dramatically changed the look of a lot of the others. Colors as well. 

I believe I figured out pretty quickly that the reason for this is all the themes available were written for the previous software variations which didn't have all these new screens,  which makes sense. 

Problems are,  #1 - I've now lost all the money I've paid in the numerous themes I downloaded.  (I want that money back) #2 - ONLY reason I've never switched to iPhone is because Samsung gives you the options of customizing, which I can no longer do.  Now,  I'm stuck with the default,  boring white screens,  just like the iPhone's.  I imagine this is the reason a large portion of users like Samsung.  (No longer), now I have no reason to continue with Samsung. (I'm going to switch asap)

Although,  the online technician said this can be fixed with a simple software patch within a couple of days. 

Umm...  maybe I'm wrong,  but without being a technician of any type,  I don't think this is possible.  (Correct me if I'm wrong,  because if true,  that would be nice)

However,  the vast majority of themes, or all as far as I've seen are created by individuals.  Meaning each individual would have to create new themes to accommodate all the new looks and screens of the latest update,  then upload them,  which I'm sure would take quite a while,  probably months,  or even a year or longer,  seeing that all these themes are for the previous version and all the previous versionand for that long to have as many themes that are available to the previous update and many before which go back several years or longer. 

So,  I hope Samsung tells me something different,  but at a minimum, if I'm right,  we won't be able to use themes for quite some time with this latest software update??? 

Yes,  you can download them,  but some screens won't be readable,  which means your basically stuck with the default bright boring whites like the iPhone! Which for me,  I no longer have a reason not to switch. People can see white screens from a long ways off. Changing ALL my screens to dark is VERY important for people such as myself who works nights and might be in a patrol car and don't want people seeing whether I'm im there or not.  Don't have that safety measure in place anymore with these full white screens.  Yep, I could dim in all the way down,  but guess what,  I can't see it then.  Any white screen, whether dimmed or not is easily visible,  even through a large majority of tint. I wonder if Samsung ever thought of that also, when a large amount of a police gencies use Samsung when purchasing corporate phones in large numbers? Including Federal government agencies. 

Really shameful thing though is that two different technicians had no idea of this and I had to explain it to them even after they remotely controlled my phone. 

It was actually their idea that I bring the information to this forum.  (So,  according to them, after posting this I should receive a software patch in a couple of days.)  Lol

I'll be switching to iPhone now.  I always wanted to try one.  Been a Samsung user since they came out with cell phones. Not anymore,  they really hurt all the a Samsung users who like themes. And cost me a good bit of cash in the themes I've purchased.  How do I get a refund on all those themes?? I need an answer. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: Themes no longer work correctly with latest update!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yes, it will take time for theme developers to update their themes to work with OneUI. Once they do, I would expect most of them to update your existing theme so you won't lose out on the purchase price you paid. No, you're not stuck with stark white screens. Change you stock theme to Night Mode, which will apply globally and give you nice black backgrounds with white text. I stay in Night Mode all the time, but you can also schedule it. While you're at it, try some icon packs to replace the ugly blobs, and check out Good Lock. Or go buy an iPhone if you really want one. :-)

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
6 REPLIES 6
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yes, it will take time for theme developers to update their themes to work with OneUI. Once they do, I would expect most of them to update your existing theme so you won't lose out on the purchase price you paid. No, you're not stuck with stark white screens. Change you stock theme to Night Mode, which will apply globally and give you nice black backgrounds with white text. I stay in Night Mode all the time, but you can also schedule it. While you're at it, try some icon packs to replace the ugly blobs, and check out Good Lock. Or go buy an iPhone if you really want one. :-)

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
userVoWQARa0Ls
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You won't get anywhere near the customizability on iPhone. You could do yourself the simple task of googling the problem and troubleshooting it yourself instead of typing a whole complaint essay that nobody cares to read.

userS68oc0V9hp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At least you can get into themes to change some and check them. 

I get an unknown S404 error when I launch themes & it tries to update. Having other issues I think are theme related but I can't even switch it to see

user2NDJKTlXuO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is very frustrating and I am with you on this issue being annoying. I cant even see half of the options on my screens. However... I would still choose this over an apple. If youre into customization  (which is why i switched from apple) then stay with samsung. Seems best to wait it out and if they dont fix within a couple months switch if you want!  and in regards to that person who replied and said you could troubleshoot it... no you cant troubleshoot this problem. lol

usercF5n3T6Q88
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I had same issue... No problem... Try turning off the button shapes option.... I couldn't use any themes and then did that and now I updated all my themes and can use any of them I want... Hope you get this
Highlighted
user2V3i6XcVK4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've just updated my Galaxy J6+ phone (3rd June 2019); it notified me and I updated... BIG mistake!!!! This update is absolutely appalling!!! When I try to set a wallpaper image, I align it perfectly but when I actually apply it, it's out of alignment by miles!  All the dimensions have changed... Even the themes are useless now, they don't customise the screens they used to customise, and they just look very wrong since the update (even default Samsung themes (and I have tried several new themes since the update))... My homescreen (as an example of what looks very wrong) looks like it's zoomed in (even though in settings everything is on minimum magnification) The icons on my homescreen used to have names underneath them (Messages, Phone etc)... not anymore! The icons look enlarged now, too big... and the resolution on everything looks appalling. When I turn on Bluetooth I have no idea if it is actually on  because nothing appears on the top of my homescreen, I have to keep swiping down from the top. Everything... and I  mean EVERYTHING is just ugly now! 
C'mon Samsung.. Please... PLEASE tell me you're working to fix this trash?