cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Two-step verification loop

My dad factory reset his Galaxy s8+ when he got a new phone, and gave it to me. I am trying to set it up and log into my samsung account, and as people must know by now, you can no longer disable two-step verification. My previous phone is a Galaxy s7 active. For a while, because the sim card was in the new phone, I couldn't see the texts sending me the verification code. So I moved the sim to my old phone again, and then the codes wouldn't work. It does not give me any error message, it just kicks me back to put in a verification code again, and again, and again. It's a neverending loop and I can't get logged into my samsung account on the new phone. I tried calling support and the support guy couldn't even help me. I am completely stuck and my dad now thinks it was a waste of money for him to get his new phone (he got one earlier than he was going to because my s7 is dying).

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it possible to make a new samsung account with the same number and transfer all my old account info and backup? I need some sort of workaround or solution because I've already wasted an entire afternoon on this.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Two-step verification loop

Sorry for you, but this is Samsung's answer to the stolen phone market. They figure if you can't do the two step verification, you are accessing a stolen device.
Highlighted
Asteroid

I understand that much, however my phone is not stolen, and the two-step verification is what's bugging here. I can't do it but that's not because I am not getting the message, it's because it's looping when I put in the correct code that comes in the message. I've seen other posts where people have this issue when upgrading to a brand new phone but there were no solutions on those posts either.

Highlighted
Asteroid

you can disable 2-step. first put the old sim back into the phone and have him sign into his Samsung account.

once you log in you can disable 2-step for that device.

next, you need to go to settings > accounts and remove the Samsung account from the device. one you remove the account, which will require his login, you can then either create your own or use the one you have.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Will this still work even though he'd already factory reset the phone? Because he factory reset it before giving it to me.

Highlighted
Asteroid

yeah....but you likely will need his sim. because the phone activation is likely tied to his Samsung account, he will need to put the SIM back so you can get past all the setup stuff.

once you are passed all the setup go to Settings > Accounts and click on Samsung account. My Samsung is newer, but it should be similar. Once you click on Samaung Account on the next screen you should see Password & Security. then you should see 2-step. when you click that it will require his password and then you can turn off 2 step.

once you do that, because you have an older phone, you probably can remove the Samsung account. if not you will need to factory reset the phone again, then you should be able to setup the device for yourself.

if you have trouble just look on YouTube or Google and search for turning off 2-step for your model and also how to properly remove the Samsung account.

on my older devices, I can remove thw accoint inside the settings under account, but newer phone have a different process.

also you may want to search settings for activation lock to make sure the device is no longer tied to his email. if you search settings and you dont see activation lock, then it may not have it
Highlighted
Asteroid

We tried this - there was no option to turn off two-step, which I'm pretty sure has been the case for many months now which is why I mentioned that fact in my main post. I thought this was different but apparently not.

He set up with his samsung account and it let him in. Then he removed his samsung account (no options to remove two-step), and we factory reset it again. I went to set up with my samsung account and the same thing as before is happening again where I'm in a loop where it doesn't say the code is wrong but it looks like it took it and then kicks me back again. It's starting to seem like there's no way around it and this phone has become completely unusable.

Highlighted
Asteroid

there are videos on YT on how to bypass FRP for S7 and S7 edgw
Highlighted
Asteroid

The s7 is my old phone I'm trying to set up my new phone s8