cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Supernova

UPDATE: OREO for Galaxy S8/+ & Note 8 UNLOCKED

Hey all!

Just wanted to provide an update on the upcoming Oreo release for Galaxy S8/+ and Note 8. We know that many of you are super pumped to upgrade to the newest operating system, and we can’t wait to get it into your hand! We’re working hard to ensure we provide you with the best possible experience for your device no matter what carrier or network you use.

We understand that many of you have Unlocked Galaxy S8/+ and Note 8 devices and may be wondering why those with Carrier models are seeing the updates first. The reason for this is that Unlocked devices must go through more rigorous testing than Carrier-specific devices because we need to make sure there is proper network functionality across ALL supported networks. (Ex. Carrier-specific devices are made to handle that one network. Unlocked devices need to be able to handle ANY / ALL compatible networks. Thus, they require some more preparation.)

Normally, the process for Unlocked phones testing is:

1. Samsung Development: The carrier and the Samsung have agreed to support a new software update. Samsung starts working on the update.
  2. Carrier Testing: During this stage, the device will go through the carrier certification process testing to make sure you get the best quality software possible.
  3. Complete & Disperse: The software has been approved to launch and is now available. When it's ready for you, your device will provide a notification that the update is available, and how to download it.

With this being said, we’re working with our Carriers to get Oreo out to ALL eligible Galaxy S8/+ and Note 8 devices within the next 2-3 weeks. Although we can’t guarantee an exact date as its pending final testing, we promise to update this thread (and your devices!) the moment it becomes available. Once Oreo reaches your device, be sure to respond here with your customizations and thoughts!

Cheers!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

377 REPLIES 377
moe
Galaxy

Re: UPDATE: OREO for Galaxy S8/+ & Note 8 UNLOCKED

How come there's no mention of the beta in here? I'm still stuck on the latest one with no option of going back to Nougat. Now I have to wait an additional 2 - 3 weeks, after waiting months for the official build?

I mean I get it, you guys need time for a perfect build, but why did Samsung wait until now to do it? 

user6FzvQdJhff
Constellation

@moewrote:

How come there's no mention of the beta in here? I'm still stuck on the latest one with no option of going back to Nougat. Now I have to wait an additional 2 - 3 weeks, after waiting months for the official build?

I mean I get it, you guys need time for a perfect build, but why did Samsung wait until now to do it? 

Now that I know how they handle this I'd probably never do the Beta again. There is no incentive or early adoptee benefit. It's the complete opposite of how Microsoft treats the Windows Insider program testers.

userhzdU904mdH
Constellation

Connect to pc with smart switch installed and it should give a option to downgrade, as it does mine. Unlocked s8 on official beta program. 

userlDeZPOzFZZ
Asteroid

Does anyone elses apps just shut down this has to go 

SaiVedagiri
Constellation

I'm pretty sure they mean all unlocked device users, including those on the beta software.

user7hk2NWtKaT
Constellation

My Samsung s8 plus is with at&t but it is unlocked does that mean I will get the update When the unlocked Samsung's get the update?

vinyl313
Asteroid

I'm on unlocked on T-Mobile. Just out of curiosity, I flashed tmo's firmware and tried to update to Oreo. Nothing .

But then I hooked up my phone to the computer and ran Smart Switch. 

There's a setting in there to download any new updates. A minute or so later a notification came up in Smart Switch that an update was available. It was Oreo. 

Installed and working fine. I'm thinking of just keeping this firmware. The unlocked one takes too long for updates. 

userr45elWoxg6
Constellation

Unlock s8 up date now!! Att
userDTBDLxXZCs
Constellation

The s8 unlocked update is live!