cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userIjQ3I9u7Az
Asteroid

Verizon unlocked S8 system updates?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi! Bought a Verizon S8 (SM-G950U) from Best Buy in the US, was told the phone comes factory unlocked and in fact works perfectly well with my SIM from outside the US (TIGO, Guatemala) everytime I turn the phone on I get a "Not a Verizon SIM" message but other than that everything works.

My question is: How will I be able to get system updates on this phone (Android, bixby etc)?

I tried to see if any updates were available (OTA via WiFi) with my SIM card in and got a "phone not recognized" message. I'm thinking of getting an unregistered Verizon SIM at Wallmart on my next visit (in a couple of weeks) and try OTA again. Will this work? Or is there any way to get updates by connecting my phone to my PC?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I love the phone but would like to not get left behind on updates.

Thanks!

Frank

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Verizon unlocked S8 system updates?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userIjQ3I9u7Az

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to use Smart Switch! When downloaded onto your computer you can use the program to update the device as long as that update was pushed out to your device model at one point. You can see more about this program here on our site: http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userIjQ3I9u7Az

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to use Smart Switch! When downloaded onto your computer you can use the program to update the device as long as that update was pushed out to your device model at one point. You can see more about this program here on our site: http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userIjQ3I9u7Az
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thanks I'll give it a try!
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Who at Bestbuy sold it to you and who told you that phone could be used with other networks?

I assumed the S8 would be similar to the S7 in that the phone is flashed and there is no real easy way to port it over/jail break it from the provider it was manufactured for. Not a lot of people know that Samsung phones have that done to them... which is why they sell the "unlocked" version of the phone. I'm quite disappointed in the Bestbuy associate who sold it to you. Realistically, even a phone carrier sales rep doesn't know that the phone is almost impossible to jailbreak.  I'm sure the Samsung Experience Kiosk at Bestbuy would have steered you in the  right direction. 

Did they sell you an international multi-band version or the American version? 

I'm actually super frustrated with Bestbuy for you on your behalf.  They are sticklers about returns for certain items... we can hope you are lucky. 

It might work with Vodafone? 

@SamsungViv is right, the smart switch can help with some of your concerns. 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung
userIjQ3I9u7Az
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bought at a BedtBuy mobile in a mall, I've had no issues with the phone it works.

I don't have the intent of rooting, just updating the system.

I guess it would work on any network, like I said no problems with my carrier's sim.

Thanks!

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Whew... I'm relieved for you! 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung