cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userRYQpz0RFDS
Asteroid

Wi-Fi calling Stopped Working with Pie Update

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Wi-Fi calling was working great on our two S8 phones under Android 8. Last week the phones updated to Pie and Wi-Fi calling stopped working at all. The Wi-Fi calling notification does not turn on, and calls are dropped as cellular reception fades out. As far as I can tell, it is the only feature not working. Phones are unbranded, unlocked US versions model SM-G950U1, no carrier-specific software installed. I've had mine working with Wi-Fi calling for more than a year before the Pie update. Our provider is Ting which reportedly uses the T-Mobile GSM network. This is a deal-breaker since we have very poor cellular reception, and we dropped our landline a while ago. One strange thing is that the Wi-Fi calling on-off switch and the Wi-Fi Preferred switch act like one switch. Flip one switch and the other flips too, in the same direction.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userRYQpz0RFDS
Asteroid

Re: Wi-Fi calling Stopped Working with Pie Update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It appears that the issue is resolved.

There may be more than one undelaying cause, but the main one is confusion. It appears that T-Mobile, I assume, decided not to continue using the Wi-Fi calling status icon in Pie, yet some other carriers seem to still be using it. This obfuscated the issue until I discovered another way of determining if Wi-Fi calling is working. In the phone app, select the keypad. The green phone button gets Wi-Fi arches in it if Wi-Fi calling is working. It can take a few seconds before the button shows this.

Things I did to resolve the problem was to clear the cache partition (google this) and the Wi-Fi Calling app cache. I also re-entered the APN settings (Settings-Connections-Mobile networks-Access Point Names) to the ones recommended by my carrier, which had gotten wiped out by the Pie update. This re-enabled MMS, and possibly also Wi-Fi calling, but I am not sure about the latter.

Since our phones are unlocked we get the firmware updates later than branded phones, and this seems like a wise decision by Samsung. We have had no other problems after the Pie update, just the expected unfamiliarity with the new One UI interface.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
userRYQpz0RFDS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It appears that the issue is resolved.

There may be more than one undelaying cause, but the main one is confusion. It appears that T-Mobile, I assume, decided not to continue using the Wi-Fi calling status icon in Pie, yet some other carriers seem to still be using it. This obfuscated the issue until I discovered another way of determining if Wi-Fi calling is working. In the phone app, select the keypad. The green phone button gets Wi-Fi arches in it if Wi-Fi calling is working. It can take a few seconds before the button shows this.

Things I did to resolve the problem was to clear the cache partition (google this) and the Wi-Fi Calling app cache. I also re-entered the APN settings (Settings-Connections-Mobile networks-Access Point Names) to the ones recommended by my carrier, which had gotten wiped out by the Pie update. This re-enabled MMS, and possibly also Wi-Fi calling, but I am not sure about the latter.

Since our phones are unlocked we get the firmware updates later than branded phones, and this seems like a wise decision by Samsung. We have had no other problems after the Pie update, just the expected unfamiliarity with the new One UI interface.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
userCVxxUt91uT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

J7star. I tried everything to get wi-fi calling back after the pie update.  No luck. This samsung people are screwy, can't even do this simple thing. I should have stayed with iphone And verizon.

user53HOqNOb5M
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had to go to settings>apps>show system apps>wifi calling and chnage the permissions there, it was set to "NO" permsissions during the pie update...

userCVxxUt91uT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It didn't work for  me.  My case is that wifi calling buttons totally disappeared on my phone app. Wifi calling option just disappeared. On my setting, wi-fi calling is greyed out and you can't turn on or off.