cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d_pike
Constellation

WiFi Calling - Sprint

Since upgrading my phone to Android Pie I'm constantly receiving a location timeout error and the phone will not enable Wifi calling. After many discussions with Sprint and other users we're being told that the issue is that the method for determining location has changed.  It now requires a cellular signal.  This doesn't make sense since you use wifi calling for when you have little to no cellular coverage. My GPS signal is fine and I've also set my 911 registered location.

This basically renders the phone useless for me for calls and txting as I live in a low cellular coverage area.  I otherwise love my phone and have been a long time Samsung customer.

In multiple discussions with Sprint they've said this was introduced by Samsung as part of the Android Pie release.  They also say they've escalated this to Samsung in May 2019.  They say a fix must come from Samsung.

Can we get a status on when this issue may be resolved?

DP

5 REPLIES 5
userBLL7vGW4qn
Constellation

Re: WiFi Calling - Sprint

I have the same issue with our 2 Galaxy S8+ phones.  We have poor reception at our house and relied on WiFi Calling.  It worked great with our S5s, but, in order to stop receiveing the annoying messages every few seconds, I had to turn of WiFi calling.  In order to make/receive calls at home, we had to install a landline. Samsung's status on this issueis really something I need to know before switching to (ugh!) and iPhone!

Meade18
Asteroid

I've had this same issue since updating my phone to the new android OS earlier in the year.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and I'm on Sprint. I use WiFi calling in the office and at home because I have a poor Sprint signal at those places. WiFi calling works about half the time, but I frequently get a location timeout notification and sometimes miss calls or receive text messages long after they are sent. Sprint has said that the reason for the location timeout is because the phone needs a cell signal to determine its location.

I thought one of the main benefits of WiFi calling was to be able to call when you don't have a great cell signal. If Samsung and Sprint set up our phones to need a cell signal to use WiFi calling, that seems to defeat the purpose.

Is there a work around so that the phone doesn't constantly need a location from a cell tower in order to use WiFi calling? It is my understanding that Galaxy S8s on carriers other than Sprint don't have this issue, but Sprint has told us we need to talk to you.

Samsung_JL2019
Astronaut

The problem is with Sprint, not Samsung. I have an s8 and note 10 that I use wifi calling for all of the time with no problems on tmobile. I use to be with sprint and that was a nightmare.

d_pike
Constellation

Waiting for response from Samsung on the initial question.

DP

There is no authorized way to revert system software.