cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephenWagner7
Cosmic Ray

WiFi Calling and VoLTE on Rogers (in Canada)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just wondering if there's any information on if/when people who purchased their S8+'s from Samsung directly will be able to use WiFi Calling or VoLTE on Rogers in Canada?

I've heard that users who have unlocked iPhones have access to these features, but not Samsung devices purchased direct from Samsung...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE on Rogers (in Canada)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can certainly push along the information you gave. I don't see why they wouldn't let an unlocked Samsung phone, no matter where it was bought, work with VoLTE and Wifi Calling.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

22 REPLIES 22
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @StephenWagner7

Normally wifi calling is a feature that is locked or unlocked based on the carrier/service provider. Can you check with your current provider to make sure that they have Wifi Calling active for that model phone?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

StephenWagner7
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

They actually have it enabled on the S8+s if you purchase from Rogers directly, but I purchased mine directly from Samsung. Rogers support line said it's not a "Rogers branded device" so they can't enable it. They even recommended I return my device to Samsung for a refund, and purchase one direct from Rogers (which I will not do). On a later call, they mentioned the IMEI of the phone shows up as "Non Rogers Device" in the backend and this is why it won't provision the settings (no workaround).

So in short, yes Rogers does have VoLTE and Wifi Calling enabled for the S8+, but they restrict it based on IMEI for Rogers branded devices only.

Is there any way that Samsung might be able to exercise some of their influence and maybe push to get this enabled for those of us who purchased direct from Samsung? They allow unlocked iPhones to use VoLTE and Wifi Calling, but not Samsung phones? Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can certainly push along the information you gave. I don't see why they wouldn't let an unlocked Samsung phone, no matter where it was bought, work with VoLTE and Wifi Calling.

StephenWagner7
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's awesome, thank you so much! I know so many others in the same position. This would be a huge help!

StephenWagner7
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just curious, any update on this? Did the back end guys say anything?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I haven't gotten any updates but it might in fact be harder for me to get them since it appears to be a largely regional thing. I've passed on that someone higher up in Samsung might need to talk to someone at Rogers to straighten this out, but if it's just a part of Roger's business model or choice there may not be much that we can do to 'strong arm' them into changing that.  =/

StephenWagner7
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you, I appreciate the follow up! I hope you don't mind another messages in a month or so. Smiley Happy

StephenWagner7
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I thought I'd just check in and see if there's been any possible movement with this?

I just tried again to turn it on, but Rogers is still blacklisting the devices purchased directly from Samsung.

CJMask
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm in the same situation.  I just bought my first Samsung device, a Galaxy s8 and thought it was the greatest thing in the world.  Then I found out Bell doesn't offer Wi-Fi calling for it, so I bought a Rogers SIM card and hoped to switch to them to get the Wi-Fi calling service.  I spoke with a Rogers rep and was told the same thing, that only Rogers branded devices can have that feature which I think is a bit ridiculous.  So now I'm considering just giving up my awesome new s8 and going back to my iPhone for that simple reason alone.