Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DannyOsh
Constellation

Wireless Charging Stopped Working Suddenly

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey All, I have just had the wireless charging stop working on my AT&T S8+. I used it successfully last week Friday night and then left for the weekend. I have had not system updates since then, but when I got home last night and put my phone back on the wireless charger, it does nothing. Both the charger and my phone do not react at all when I put the phone on. My charger is the Samsung Wireless Fast Charger and I am using the wire and plug that came with it. The model is EP-NG930. I have tried the following and still no response from my phone.

• Tried a different phone (S7 Edge) and it works fine
  • Tried my S8+ on a couple third part wireless chargers and they do not work either
  • Rebooted my phone and nothing
  • Tried charging with my phone off and nothing
  • Rebooted my phone into safe mode and nothing
  • Turned the phone in different directions and nothing

Any other suggestions?  Help?

Edit 20-8-2018:  In the end I had to exchange the phone for a new one under warranty.  The new phone has never had an issue wirelessly charging.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userb7Bd9KsDsO
Constellation

Re: Wireless Charging Stopped Working Suddenly

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this happen on my last S8+ through Verizon after an update.  I tried all of the things I could, but couldn't get the wireless charging working again.  I brought it in to Verizon and they couldn't get it charging with their charger.  They tried to tell me that I would have to pay $90 to replace through their premium care program.  I asked why it wasn't covered under its warrantee for free.  The representative went to ask and came back and said it was covered under the warrantee and that they would get a new one shipped out to me.

The new one worked fine for several months and, after another update, it stopped wirelessly charging again.  I'm going to bring it back for a warranty replacement.

38 REPLIES 38
psenseny
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here, I have an At&T S8.  It stopped working about a month ago, after one of the software updates.....however,

I did a lot of playing - I went ot Storage, Clear Cache and then I rebotted into Recovery and wiped cache.  Then rebooted.  I placed it on the charger during boot and got it to work.  It said it was charging, but it did not seem to increase the %.

Once I removed it from the charger, it said wireless charing paused, and then subsquent attempts charging was not picked up (meaning it did not sense the pad).

I am half and half on software vs. hardware.  The fact that I could get it to pickup the pad upon boot, makes me feel this is a software problem, however the fact that it does not actually "charge" contricts that assumption.

I am using an offical Samsung Fast Charger ;

Samsung Fast Charge Wireless Charging Convertible Stand W/ AFC Wall Charger (US Version with Warranty), Black

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Charging-Convertible-Warranty/dp/B06XH4X7SZ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UT...

userKowJp93OZ3
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ from Verizon.  It was charging fine for months using a 3rd party wireless charger.  I noticed within the past day or two that the phone suddenly didn't recognize the wireless charger when placed on the charger.  My wife has the same charger and my phone didn't charge on her charger either.  She has a Samsung GS 7 from Verizon and her phone does charge wirelessly on both chargers.  That leads me to believe that it has something to do with the GS 8+ and not the chargers... especially when it had worked for months beforehand.

user0iDFIxbQCD
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My wireless charger just stopped working completely. Tried different outlets, original charging cord, charger that came with my note 8, and nothing. Upon plugging the, the light on the charger flashes on right away, then goes back out. It stopped working within 12 hrs of having it. Almost seems like Samsung knew these were garbage, that's why they gave them away for free, and bumped the free micro SD card to 256, instead of 128

Slandec
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same thing happen with my Note 8. Two days after getting it, it stopped charging wirelessly.  restarted, factory reset, etc. Still nothing. Still 50/50 on whether it's the software or hardware.

Was on the phone with support, they were delighted to tell me I could either return it for a refund, and just not have a phone, or submit a claim through Premium Care, and pay another $99 to get a phone that works. They really didn't seem interested that I got a defective phone. I'm really out of luck on this one.

userSNjfA5DLbX
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this happen to me with my S6.  I contacted Samsung.  They said to send it in.  It was determined that it was hardware and they fixed it.  On QA before returning they detected that my phone had been rooted.  It charged wirelessly for about a month and then stopped.  I contacted them again, and they said they would not fix because it had been rooted.  I have my S8 and it is charging wirelessly.  

Slandec
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userSNjfA5DLbX wrote:

I had this happen to me with my S6.  I contacted Samsung.  They said to send it in.  It was determined that it was hardware and they fixed it.  On QA before returning they detected that my phone had been rooted.  It charged wirelessly for about a month and then stopped.  I contacted them again, and they said they would not fix because it had been rooted.  I have my S8 and it is charging wirelessly.  

Did you go through the warranty process or was this through premium care? Mine isn't rooted, and was hoping to just swap it out since it's only a week old, but that may be my only option.  About how long did it take for them to fix?

userlHbnCqMMBM
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This was happening to me as well, this may not help you, but my phone had a case on it with a metal plate in it so that it can attach to a magnet mount in my car. Once I took the case off, wireless charging worked perfectly. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but it worked for me! Best of luck!

useraDCS0otTkw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issue on mine. S8 plus AT&T.

Wiped cached countless times, factory reset 5 times, everything I can think of. 

I'm also using the Samsung Convertable Fast Wireless Charger. I would get the charging Wireless Fast Charging, but the percetage would not change at all. Even after 2 hours of sitting on the charger, it didn't go up, but as soon as I bring it off the charger, I'll get the message charging paused. The percentage drops down right away.

A couple of days ago I toggle the Display Option "Keep screen off in pockets" and my phone now wont even give me the message of it being wirelessly charged. Toggled it back, no luck, wiped cached, nothing.

Oh wells, I got a expensive paper weight of a charger sitting on my desk now.

Samsung please fix!!

userZbD394yvyf
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Same problem. Just stopped working, phone only few months old. This is terrible, have invested so much in this product, time and money. Need the fix ASAP.