cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

attempting to smartswitch transfer data from S8 to s10e but screenlock pattern corrupted

I am in the process of transferring data from Samsung S8 to new Samsung s10e using the smartswitch app but somehow in the process of a few minutes of connecting the phones wirelessly the screenlock pattern on my S8 will not recognize my existing pattern and therefore cannot complete the update.

Furthermore, when i lock the S8 phone using the power key then attempt to unlock via my pattern it similarly refuses it.  Thankfully, visual recognition unlocks it via facial recognition but now if I attempt to access S8 security to reset/check/change my security pattern in settings, I cannot get past the pattern prompt to do so.

My fingerprint and facial are obviously setup for unlocking and I am considering powering down my S8 to reboot it but afraid to do so in the case that screenlock pattern required on power-up will lock me out completely.

Everything was working perfectly fine until I first was going to use the USB cord to smartswitch the data across but then decided to go wireless so that i could charge the S8 (10% battery remaining) and therefore have enough power for 1.25hrs required to transfer data.

Whether this was the issue or not, I have NO idea except that now somehow in this update process the S8 pattern lock got corrupted or reset internally somehow.  To answer some obvious questions in advance = yes, I have already tried the new screen lock pattern that I set on my new S10 just in case somehow its pattern got cross-transferred but it does not work either.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: attempting to smartswitch transfer data from S8 to s10e but screenlock pattern corrupted

Have you attempted to change the pattern while the phone is in safe mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: attempting to smartswitch transfer data from S8 to s10e but screenlock pattern corrupted

thanks for your reply.  I tried all sorts of options while on chat with samsung support but they ended up fruitless. Safe mode was never suggested so not sure if that would have worked or helped.

what I ended up doing after the S8 was fully charged was direct tether with the USB cable again and even though it rejected the pattern the first time, I unplugged the USB and plugged it back for 2-3 further attempts before suddenly it decided to just start to transfer the data.

I have NO idea why it suddenly decided to take the pattern or start transferring data but it ended up switching to the S10e, then first thing the next morning when i powered it back up after a software update overnight (that I forgot to disable the night before) I used the pattern (with trepidation that it would work) and it unlocked the phone like usual.

My only guess is that a software update downloaded during the process or something then it caused a conflict with the security pattern during the smartswitch and interim till the phone updated itself (????)

at this point, I am not sure how/what/why but all I know is that the S8 is functioning as a backup media device now and the s10e is sucessfully migrated.

wierd. Smiley Happy