cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

"Unauthorized Software" warning and unable to open secure folder after update

Morning folks.

Title pretty much explains it all. Got a notice about an update night before last and installed it. 

When I went to access my Secure folder this morning, I got the Unauthorized Software message, but I haven't installed anything since

Not sure what info anyone needs to help, but

Android Version 9

Kernel Version 4.4.153-16888298

Knox Version 3.3

Android Security Patch Level March 1, 2020

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: "Unauthorized Software" warning and unable to open secure folder after update

Can I please have your full model number, baseband version, and service provider?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: "Unauthorized Software" warning and unable to open secure folder after update

Sure!

Model # SM-G892A

Baseband Version G892AUCS5CTC1

Service Provider: AT&T

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Has the device been rooted or anything? Have you tried wiping the cache partition since the update? Are any updates available?

To wipe the cache partition:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition”.
  5. Press Power button to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks for the info.

The device has not been rooted. Secure folder was working fine before I installed the last update. 

ETA 5/7/20: Phone Status: Official

When I checked for updates it said my system was current.

Followed your instructions to wipe cache partition, problem persists. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Do you have an SD card inserted? Is it encrypted?

Is your Samsung account still logged in on the device? Is the sync working correctly?

Do you have any 3rd party launchers or lock screen apps installed? Any security apps?

Highlighted
Constellation

Do you have an SD card inserted? 

I do have an SD Card.

Is it encrypted?

No, it is not encrypted, but the destination for the Secure Folder is located on it.

Is your Samsung account still logged in on the device?

Yes.

Is the sync working correctly?

Seems to be. I get the 2nd verification texts from here and e-mail updates with no problem.

Do you have any 3rd party launchers or lock screen apps installed?

No, and only the stock lock screen function.

Any security apps?

Nothing except Avast antivirus.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried temporarily uninstalling Avast?

Have you tried opening secure folder in Safe Mode?

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
Highlighted
Constellation

Replied to this Monday, not sure why it didn't post. 

Tried uninstalling Avast - problem perists.

Tried opening Secure Folder in Safe Mode - problem persists.

Highlighted
Constellation

So I hadn't heard anything about this thread, and today I got an automatic system update, which I installed.

After I restarted, I tried accessing the Secure folder - it would blink and then return to the homepage without opening.

So I decided to review this thread, and decided to try this option, and it worked!

Now I just need to figure out why I can't open it in normal mode.