Unlocked phones and WiFi calling capabilities

SOLVED
Cosmic Ray

Unlocked phones and WiFi calling capabilities

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cosmic Ray
Solution
Accepted by topic author userDcTWtPzUhh
‎08-20-2018 10:29 AM

Re: Unlocked phones and WiFi calling capabilities

Seems like it is completely dependent on carrier. I purchased the s9+ unlocked from best buy. I was with Verzion at that time. A wifi calling setting was no where on the phone. There was also no visual voicemail. I made the switch to tmobile last week and as soon as i put the sim card in i got a wifi calling notification an the option is now there. I also have tmobile visual voicemail. 

48 REPLIES
Contributor (E)

It might depend on your carrier - but on Verizon, that is one of the few features I do not have using the unlocked Galaxy phone on their network. If you don't have Verizon, you may want to reply to this thread with your carrier so someone else can chime in. 

Thanks! I’m currently with Verizon but thinking of making a move to MetroPCS.

Contributor (E)

No problem - if it helps at all, I have a more detailed post on what is and isn't available on the unlocked Galaxy S8/S9 on Verizon you can look at here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-Announcements-and-Info/Unlocked-galaxy-S9-on-Verizon/m...

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

@userDcTWtPzUhhwrote:

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

I ended up going with an Att configured S9+phone because the Samsung rep at att said I would not get wifi calling, HD voice or visual voice-mail  with a regular unlocked phone. Confirmed that with Samsung USA as well. 

Cosmic Ray

Very helpful. Thank you!

Asteroid

Metropcs wifi calling works on s9+ blue I got mine today and called in to activate got a prompt for wifi calling Hope's this helps.

Cosmic Ray

This does help, thanks! Did you buy the unlocked version directly from samsung or a tmobile version or?

Asteroid

Unlocked from samsung

Cosmic Ray

That is fantastic news. Ty!