Does the samsung galaxy s9 have fm radio built-in?

Constellation

Does the samsung galaxy s9 have fm radio built-in?

12 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Does the samsung galaxy s9 have fm radio built-in?

Yes.  At least my S9 Plus in the USA does.   Headphones are required because they serve as the antenna.  I use the NextRadio app as the "tuner".

Cosmic Ray

The unlocjed version from samsung.com does not have it unlocked yet. Im bummed about it, I was looking forward to using my fm radio.

Galaxy

@JustinForeman20wrote:

The unlocjed version from samsung.com does not have it unlocked yet. Im bummed about it, I was looking forward to using my fm radio.

It actually does but there is apparently a bug disabling it that NextRadio knows of and is working with Samsung to fix 

Constellation

I discovered the same thing with my unlocked S9 I ordered from Samsung.com When using the nextradio app it has to use data from wifi or cell signal.

Galaxy

@userHkLabNCkdFwrote:

I discovered the same thing with my unlocked S9 I ordered from Samsung.com When using the nextradio app it has to use data from wifi or cell signal.

It's allegedly going to be corrected in the next update 

Constellation

It's not the phone i too have the unlocked s9plus it works fine i have Verizon it's locked via your carrier Verizon has issued an update that allows fm radio also you'll not need headphones because it has a built in fm antenna.

Cosmic Ray

Has anybody got any word on when this update will be? Its April 18th and we still havent had OTA for April sercurity patches and its driving me nuts not having my fm tuner. Plus I can not find an answer to when we should be getting an update. I know there are quite a few bugs still to work out on the S9 and I would think that Samsung would be pumping out updates to correct issues with its newest Flagship.

Cosmic Ray

I bought an unlocked and I was so upset about the fm rafio not working, and I expect it will be 6 months before samdung gets updates to the unlocked models that I downloaded the At&t firmware and used Odin to flash the At&t firmware to my device. This process does not void the warranty because it is not a custom rom and it will not carrier lock your phone. It was very simple, just need a PC and about 10 min. Granted I have a littlw bloatware now but the radio works, and I suspect the updates will be timely. This is the firmware I found on XDA for the S9+ G965usqu1ARBI. Extracted the file. Downloaded Odin 3.13.**, turn the phone off and hold volume down + bixby + power button until phone enter download mode. Then connect phone to PC, Odin should turn green and confirm its ready. Then there are five lines where you open each of the files that were in the zip file. Browse to find them individually and check the box next to it. Once all the files are plugged and checked then hit start. Took me 5 min and my phone rebooted and started off fresh just like a factory reset. Back up all your info and files to pc before doing this as you will lose all the data the storage contains. But when you enter your gmail everything pretty well set back up and if your sync all your samsung account settings and data your whole device should set back to how you had it. Within an hour I had my phone back to normal and was rid of all of the issues that came with the unlocked model.

@user7Mck6hgDY6

I have a S9+ and have used a few radio apps which work well enough, meaning they do drop out occasionally due to electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called radio-frequency interference.

Why wouldn't the S9 or any other phone have the ability to pick up radio frequencies these days?