Galaxy s9 Samsung' Internet hijacked by Google

Constellation

Galaxy s9 Samsung' Internet hijacked by Google

I am having an issue where every time I open a new tab in Samsung Internet on my Galaxy S9, Google's search page comes up by default.

On my S8, whatever I had my homepage set to would come up instead.

For whatever reason, Google is appearing instead of my homepage. I even have Bing as my default search engine.

Can someone tell me how to fix this?

15 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Galaxy s9 Samsung' Internet hijacked by Google

I already set my homepage and search engine to bing.com. It was one of the first things I did when I got the phone.

But when I open a new tab, this is the link that comes up:

https://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&source=android-home&gws_rd=ssl

I didn't set it to that (I don't use Google's search engine) and can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it.

I've tried re-installing the browser, but I get the same thing.

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

1) Go into SETTINGS.

2) Select APPs.

3) Scrool down till you see Samsung Internet.

4) Select Samsung internet.

5) Scrool down to app settings and look for "Set as default"

6) Select set as default.

7) just below that, make sure it now reads SAMSUNG INTERNET under browser app.

You should now be all set with Samsung internet as your default browser app.

Constellation

Setting the browser as a default is not the issue.

The problem I'm having is in the app itself.

Asteroid

What he is saying is when opening Samsung internet his homepage is already what he set it to be, the issue is when clicking new tab Samsung would automatically set new tab as Google search even though especially for me I hate Google and set it to Bing, new tab is linked to Google Web page and there is no way to changing it 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

Heisenberg, your responses won't fix the issue, your best option is to not respond at all 

Constellation

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Constellation

I just changed my home page and search engine provider to duckduck and opened a new tab and it went to what I set , maybe try a reset ? Or get a hold of a Samsung store Rep usually in best buys in which they can reimage your device and do further diagnostics 

Constellation

Having the exact same issue.  Seems very forced that a new tab automatically loads Googles home page "https://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&source=android-home&gws_rd=ssl" via it is embedded through android and your service provider (mine is sprint as you can tell by my link url provided in quote above. I've tried disabling certain Google functions including Google all together on my S9+, still to no avail on success of changing it. I've sent an inquiry to Samsung's support to see if they have an answer,  if I hear back I will let you know if there is any solution.  Imo, Google has their claws in every device and there is no way of completely removing them from you device.... this is clear to me from this simple problem which should be changed easily by changing default search providers and changing your homepage.  Very,  very,  very frustrating... I dislike Google very much.

Constellation

I've done this, it still loads "https://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&source=android-home&gws_rd=ssl" when I select open new tab. Changed default search engine to DuckDuckGo, changed homepage to "http//www.duckduckgo.com" and even blocked the Google url that loads when new tab is selected through Unicorn(ad/content blocking extension through Samsung's Internet Browser.... It still loads Google, this is asinine.