How to prevent my S9+ from using *any* data on my plan?

Highlighted
Constellation

How to prevent my S9+ from using *any* data on my plan?

While this will revolve around Spotify, the question is really for any App so I can prevent certain apps from using any of my data plan. 

What is happening: I have disabled these settings:

• In the phone settings under data usage I have data saver turned on. 
  • In Settings / Apps / Spotify - In data usage I have both: Allow background data & allow app while data saver, both turned off. 
  • Open Spotify the app - click on Your Library - open the settings menu - I have download using cellular turned off. 

Even after the baove, I can see in my data usage monitor that Spotify is still using data. If I click on a song that is not downloaded it will go ahead and won load it on my data.

What else can I change?

I'll say this - As much as I hated the iPhone and love Android - iOS was 1000X better at this. It had one page in settings you could go to and control every single apps ability to access data all in one view.  Unless I am missing something obvious this is an area that android blows at. 

15 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: How to prevent my S9+ from using *any* data on my plan?

Can I get the full model number of your device?

I found this online:

Sounds like you have playlists set as 'Available Offline'.

When you open the app, in the Playlists section do you have a load (or maybe even one) playlist at the top under the section 'Downloaded'?

If so, open this playlist up and you'll see a button under Shuffle Play called 'Available Offline'. I have a feeling this is set to 'On'... You need to switch this to 'Off''.

Do this to all your playlists, then clear cache and you should be all good.

I hope it helpsSmiley Happy

Constellation

SM-G965U

Constellation

I'll have to check that when I get home later (my son has the phone).

Thanks!

Samsung Moderator

Thank you. 

Halo

The 'Data Saver' mode and the 'Allow Background Data Usage' option will only restrict data usage in the background, not while the app is open and being used.
As long as Spotify is open and playing it will use your data.
You can use a third party app, like the Google Datally, to have more control over data usage per app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.freighter
Samsung Moderator

@Gamul: Were you able to check your playlist settings? 

Constellation

Thanks. The above other steps did not help either when actively using the app.  I will explore this 3rd party app to see how it works. About to get on a flight for a 2 week over seas trips so my testing of this may be staggered a bit. 

It still astounds me that Google has not put better controls around this in their OS. Of all the great things they do, this is awful. 

Appreciate the help.

Constellation

All his play lists are downloaded by default. His issue is it downloads other songs he is exploring while he is on the data plan.  On the iphone, it would add the new song to a list but could not download it until he was on wifi. On android it downloads it.