New Apps on Home Screen Minor Annoyance

Halo

New Apps on Home Screen Minor Annoyance

I have an S9 (SM-G960U) with Oreo. I have four panels on my home screen with a combination of widgets and app shortcuts; each of those panels has at least one available space in the 5x6 grid, and most have multiple blank spaces leaving plenty of room. When I install a new app from the Play Store, the installation process creates a new blank panel and adds a shortcut there rather than in any of the empty space already available. Is there any setting to control this behavior? I would prefer to have the shortcut for the new app show up in blank space on the last panel to the right, for instance. The only setting I can find related to this behavior is the toggle for enabling/disabling the automatic addition of a shortcut -- I don't see anything controlling the placement of that shortcut. Thanks, Dan
6 REPLIES
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: New Apps on Home Screen Minor Annoyance

@Requa wrote:
I have an S9 (SM-G960U) with Oreo. I have four panels on my home screen with a combination of widgets and app shortcuts; each of those panels has at least one available space in the 5x6 grid, and most have multiple blank spaces leaving plenty of room. When I install a new app from the Play Store, the installation process creates a new blank panel and adds a shortcut there rather than in any of the empty space already available. Is there any setting to control this behavior? I would prefer to have the shortcut for the new app show up in blank space on the last panel to the right, for instance. The only setting I can find related to this behavior is the toggle for enabling/disabling the automatic addition of a shortcut -- I don't see anything controlling the placement of that shortcut. Thanks, Dan

Settings>display>home screen> toggle off "add apps to home screen

⭐Samsung Care Ambassador⭐

Halo

Thanks for responding, but that's the setting I already found and is not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find a way to control which home screen panel the new icon lands on, or to make it only create a new panel if there's no room on any existing panel. I'll keep poking around.
Samsung Moderator

Do you have a theme on your home screen or are you using the default home screen?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@Requa last I checked there isn't any way to choose where the new app icon goes. 

Halo

I'm using a third-party theme Blue_Abstract_v2 (at least until I get Pie and the stock dark theme option). Would that be controlling this behavior?
Highlighted
Halo

I tried switching back to the default theme and installing an app. The installer still created a new blank home screen panel for the shortcut. I tried again after restarting the phone with the same result. Back to the drawing board.