Notification badge icon not working on Samsung Galaxy S9

Asteroid

Re: Notification badge icon not working on Samsung Galaxy S9

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

I'm a recent WIndows Phone convert - got an S8+ last November. I found this thread because my phone updated to Oreo a few days ago and since then I have exactly the same issue.

I woke up this morning to a notification about something Samsung being updated. Since then my stock messaging app is now displaying unread text number on the icon/badge like it used to before Oreo. For some reason missed calls is still not working.

As I said, still pretty new to the Android/Samsung world so not sure if this is a fluke or due to the update. Not even sure if it's relevant to the S9.

Is there a way I can check what was updated (if it would be helpful)?

Cheers

Mick

EDIT

Now more than half way though my work day and messaging app has been working all day as it did before Oreo. Still nothing with missed calls.

Astronaut

Re: Gmail icon badge count wrong

I also noticed incorrect badge count on Gmail since the Oreo update, on AT&T, S8+. It shows an inflated number, but each time after reading the (one) new email, the badge does clear.

Cosmic Ray

It would be nice if a Samsung moderator could at least comment on this thread. I've seen them comment on other threads that have only a fraction of the activity of this one.

Astronaut

Re: Gmail icon badge count wrong

I too have the inflated number of emails on the icon since Oreo. Can't find d any way of solving it.  Most annoying!

Constellation

Re: Notification Badges Not Working on Galaxy S9+

Agreed, that is the way it is supposed to work.   But my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus is not working that way.   Last night the Gmail icon badge would show random numbers like 80 and 105, when only 2 or 3 new ones actually came in.   This morning it was showing 266, when there was about 15.  Now it is showing 175, and there is about 5.

And the Facebook one works randomly.  Sometimes it shows a number and sometimes not.   I have a Samsung tablet that I compare my phone to for this purpose.   They are rarely the same.  I haven't opened Facebook yet today,  and right now my tablet is showing 13, and nothing is showing on my phone. 

Constellation

Since Oreo update the samsung email app always shows 3 no matter how many new emails i get

Since I updated my S8 and S8+ they show the same number of unread emails no matter how many I have. On the S8 it shows 3 on the S8+ it shows 24. 

Constellation

This problem is not solved. I get badge counter thats always incorrect for gmail. It will say I have 10 unread and in actual gmail it will only be 4 or 5. samething with whatsapp.. but not as frequently as gmail.

Asteroid

Re: Since Oreo update the samsung email app always shows 3 no matter how many new emails i get

I am having tjhe exact same issue except the email app shows 1 no matter how mant new ones I get. Happened right after Oreo update. S8+ under warranty.

Constellation

Re: Notification Badges Not Working on Galaxy S9+

[ Edited ]

After reading these issues I guess I am a little relieved I ended up just returning the phone. I tried three GS9+ and all had dead zones on the screen so couldn't even set up the phone to use. Seems like there are lots of other issues on top of that. Hoping the Note 9 does better out of the box.

Constellation

Upgraded from an S6 edge and this badge count/notification count conflict is ridiculous. I get 0 badge counts on all apps. Tried all the settings in this thread to no avail. I greatly depend on the counts for unread emails, unread texts in messenger, snap chat, facebook, etc.

When they start fiddling with things to add all these fancy changes, these developers need to test. I cannot believe this didn't cross their radar.

I can't believe I am forced to go back to an S6 to get reliability! 

Fix this ASAP Samsung!