cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Daydream/Google VR services.

This is going to be similar to a post on the EU board. After updating to 10, Google VR services/Daydream does not recognize my S9 plus as being compatible for use with the headset. This is verified by other Galaxy/Note owners. Obviously I have been using VR prior to the new update with few problems. Apparently there was an omission of an XML that would alert Google VR services that the phones are compatible for use with VR.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Daydream/Google VR se...

I would recommend reaching out to Google developers for further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Daydream/Google VR se...

Samsung phones are the only one affected so it's in the Samsung version of the Android 10 update. Nice try.

Astronaut

Hey samsung can I return my Note 9 for a refund? It no longer does one of the key things I bought it for... I think I have a good case for a warranty claim.

Highlighted
Astronaut

The problem is, Google didn't mess up. This problem only applies to Samsung devices supporting Daydream. Some users report it's the fault of removing two flags from a system file in the android 10 update. The specific file is:

• /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml

The missing lines for the two flags are:

• <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" />
  • <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />

I found this solution on xda forum. For me, it looks like an easy fix. But due to the fact that it is a system file, you need root privilege to edit this file, which voids warranty and tripps knox, which makes things like Secure Folder, Samsung Pay and other knox-related apps permanently not working.

Can you at least check this solution and tell us if for some reason this does not solve the problem?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Da..

I reported this in UI 2.0 beta for Note 9. Samsung beta team said it was due to beta status but would be fixed in the final version. I installed the final version and it wasn't fixed.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Da..

Can't reach out to developer because the app doesnt appear in Play Store. This is a Samsung problem that Samsung needs to fix.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Daydream/Google VR servi

This is not OK Samsung. This was one of the main reasons I bought the (very expensive) Note 9. I think this will be my last Samsung device.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: After latest update android 10, can no longer use Samsung products with Daydream/Google VR servi

Im so angry about this issue, and this is another reason for me to choose other brand for my next smartphone.

Before I bought S9+ it was Daydream compatible. Daydream compatibility was one of biggest reason why I bought S9+. I also spent money on Daydream, and daydream apps. Now both Daydream and its apps are usseles on my S9+. And I cannot even sell Daydream or ask for refund on apps.
Samsung support pointed me to Daydream developers, but it's not them who removed compatibility code from XML file, Samsung devs did it.

If they dont want to listen I can do the only thing I can: to give my money to someone else.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Fix this samsung!