cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdplayer81
Cosmic Ray

App update and install issues

I'm having issues with my phone updating apps and installing new apps.  They get to 99% and then just freeze. At one point I had disabled the google app and that seemed to fix it but now it's back to freezing again.  I have tried a whole littany of solutions:

- checked storage - 32.5 GB Free

- cleared cache and data for google play store and google play services

- cleared data and force stopped download manager

- removed and added my google account(s)

- Cleared partition through the boot menu

- tried installing over data instead of wi-fi

- disabled and then enabled google play store and reinstalled current version

- Did a factory reset

I could get apps to update in safe mode but only when my google app was disabled.  It would seem to me that's the problem but when I'm not in safe mode, disabling the app does not solve the problem. 

15 REPLIES 15
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: App update and install issues

It sounds as if a third-party downloaded application is your culprit. Due to the fact that it is not occurring when you have your device in safe mode.

I would uninstall recently installed applications and test if you are able to update apps without being in safe mode. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
bdplayer81
Cosmic Ray

I've uninstalled all but one app, which I need to access my work computer.  I've been using the same app as a control and in both safe mode and regular, the app downloads to 100% and freezes there  until I close and restart the google play store app.  A different app I tried will get to 84% downloaded and the freeze in both regular and safe mode.  That one, when i reboot the play store app, starts over at 0% again.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The only remaining troubleshooting would be to take the phone to a local uBreakiFix location for an evaluation. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/ubreakifix/

bdplayer81
Cosmic Ray

Well I went to ubreakifix and they told me there's nothing they can really help me with. I explained everything I tried including a factory reset and they said I'd have to uninstall third party apps to see if I can find one that's causing the problem. 

When I got home, I restarted the phone in safe mode and then disabled every app I could on the phone except the play store and the samsung apps. The problem still persists.  Is it possible for a third party app to affect the phone while in Safe Mode? 

Another problem I hadn't mentioned I'm having is receiving push notifications.  On Apps like Facebook messenger or gmail, I'm not getting push notifications right away.  Even the notification I have a voicemail doesn't show up until sometimes 30 minutes later.  Sometimes if I restart my phone, I'll get a bunch of push notifications come in at once. 

bdplayer81
Cosmic Ray

I did another factory reset last night and right after the phone rebooted, the apps were installing like they should and overnight they all updated.  This morning, Google Play Store updated and then the apps stopped installing. I uninstalled the Google Play Store updates and that appears to have solved the problem.  I'll just stick with an old version of the Play Store for now.

bdplayer81
Cosmic Ray

Scratch that. After a few hours it has stopped working correctly.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Could you provide me with your full model code so that I can look up more troubleshooting steps for you?

bdplayer81
Cosmic Ray

It is: SM-G960UZBAUSC

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Does this happen for both the Google Play store and the Galaxy Store or only the Google Play store?