cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Apps on SD Card Greyed Out After Yesterday's Software Update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Threemoons; With that being the case, I recommend reaching out to the SSD support team for all solid-state drive questions. Please either email support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Thanks!

Threemoons
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
It...is...not...an...SSD...problem. It is a SOFTWARE problem which ONLY started after the update!!
MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey everyone. I have tried everything listed here and nothing has helped. I force closed the Samsung Experience home apps, cleared cache and data in all 3 phone apps and device maintenance, but nothing works. Before I came to this forum, I even unmounted and mounted and reformatted my SD card. So at first I could see the grayed out apps with names and all, but now they are completely missing. I can't pull them up in a phone search or anything. When I go to Play Store to try and reinstall, I get the following message: "You cannot install this app because another user has already installed a incompatible version on this device." So I have no idea what to do now. I've restarted my phone many times too and no difference. I'm thinking I just might have to do a factory reset and hope that fixes it completely. Everything is always backed up so it wouldn't be too big of a deal. Plus I've only had it for a few weeks and still have yet to finish setting up the home screnss and device to my liking, so I wouldn't lose too much progress. If there's any better suggestions you guys may have, I'm all ears, please! Thanks for your help.! 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @MemeJae, thank you for the information. Let's give this a shot; 

Steps here:

Turn off the device.

Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.

When the device logo screen displays, release only the Power key

When the Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).

Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’

Press the Power key to select. 

Press the Volume down key to highlight ‘yes’ a press the Power key to select.

When the wipe cache partition is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.

Press the Power key to restart the device.

MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi. Thanks for trying to help me. I actually talked via text chat last night with a Samsung service representative who advised me to take those same steps to wipe my cache. But, it didn't work so I called into Samsung this morning and they believe it's a software issue and want me to take it into a service center. I told them maybe I should just factory reset it, but they didn't want me to do that. So hopefully I can get it in today, but if not, tomorrow. The apps still are nowhere to be found and can't be reinstalled. So we'll see what happens next. Thanks anyway!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are welcome. I hope this gets resolved for you soon. Please keep us updated if you get a resolution to help other customers in the community experiencing this same issue. 

MemeJae
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@MemeJae wrote:

Hi. Thanks for trying to help me. I actually talked via text chat last night with a Samsung service representative who advised me to take those same steps to wipe my cache. But, it didn't work so I called into Samsung this morning and they believe it's a software issue and want me to take it into a service center. I told them maybe I should just factory reset it, but they didn't want me to do that. So hopefully I can get it in today, but if not, tomorrow. The apps still are nowhere to be found and can't be reinstalled. So we'll see what happens next. Thanks anyway!

Thanks for trying to help me,  Rondo! Per our conversation,  you told me to keep you all updated about my issue, so here goes. As you can see from my post above,  Samsung's call center told me to go into a service center,  which I made a appointment for the next day,  but didn't really want to go or be without my phone. Anyway, I am usually pretty tech savvy and I still really wanted to try and fix it myself, before trying the last option, a factory reset. So the issue was that my apps that I moved to SD were originally greyed out, saying app not installed,  then they completely disappeared and play store wasn't allowing me to download them again. So I went online on my iPad to the Play Store and signed in and tried to reinstall one of the apps,  Netflix.  I  clicked install,  picked the device to install it on and it worked! It downloaded you my phone and I did the next app that was missing the same way. So I had those apps back,  but the next 2 games kept saying error. Then UBreakIFix called me for further details and said they were just going to try a factory reset and if I was sure I could do it myself and was familiar with it,  I should go ahead and try it. So I did and now everything is working perfectly but of course now I'm scared to EVER move to SD again,  which is not fair. Sorry for the extra drawn out details. But maybe this will help someone else,  Hopefully!

Highlighted
userHaXNtMVtyd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the grayed out issue as well. Compounding the issue, I am only able to use the apps if they are not in a folder. Netflix is in an Entertainment folder, I have to drag it to my home screen to use it and put it back in the folder when I'm finished. It's like I'm constantly rearranging my house when I already have my belongings where it's most convenient and efficient for me. Constantly rearranging is neither convenient or efficient. Please fix this! And for the love of Pete, if a Samsung moderator tries to give.me instructions for how to fix this, I'll buy an iPhone online right now. It's a software problem  Admit it and fix it. Thank YOU. 

Sincerely, 

S8-KCMO

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Android Software creates a platform for 3rd party applications, the application developers are responsible for compatibility. If you are having an issue with an application after the SW update, I would recommend contacting the app developer. That information can be found in the Google Play Store.

Threemoons
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Um, NO.  Loads of people have reported the greying out issue, and it has ZERO to do with the app developers.  It's a Samsung thing.  Please address it as such.