cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Bluetooth dropping during phone calls

My Galaxy s9 keeps disconnecting from my bluetooth device I use for phone calls.  Happens randomly, and phone goes to speaker phone.  I've cleared my cache, turned off battery optimization, repaired the devices, and reset network settings.  Any other solutions?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Bluetooth dropping during phone calls

I feel your pain brother. Have exactly the same problem...just got a reply asking "if I was sure my headset could take calls"...for real. <edit>

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have the problem - BT is unusable for calls at this point but fine for music.  More details:

I use a JBL Flip4 for music and phone calls throughout the day.  I also use a Jawbone earpiece for calls occasionally.  For calls only the JBL (and Jawbone) recently started switching from the bluetooth device to the S9s speakerphone for apparently no reason.  A couple of more points:

• When this happens the phone does not indicate its in speakerphone mode (speaker icon not lit), but the sound is clearly coming out in in speakerphone (its loud).  If I turn off the BT device or otherwise disconnect it, the phone goes into normal phone mode (not speakerphone). 
  • If the call ends while the phone is in in the weird, intermediate state the next call answers normally playing through the BT device as expected.  Then at a random time later (sometimes almost immediately, sometimes 20 mintues later) it will jump back to the weird phone speakerphone mode. 

I've tried doing things like disbling my music playback app, wifi on and off, restarting the phone (of course) and nothing seems to help.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have a Note 10 + having the exact same issue

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have the same issue and so does a coworker I just spoke with.  I have the Samsung Galaxy S10e.  The sudden change from Bluetooth to Speakerphone happens from any Bluetooth device I may be talking on - my Jabra Evolve 65 headset at work, or my Bose Soundsport earbuds, or my Kenwood stereo in my truck.  It says its on Bluetooth still on the phone, but is clearly on Speakerphone.  My coworker said it will switch back if he presses Speakerphone, then presses Bluetooth again.  So far this has worked for me, but I can already say this can or will become a safety issue at some point.  I have also tried restarting the phone and exploring settings.  I haven't found a solution yet...

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

did u install or update any apps before this issue began?

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have a Galaxy S9 on Verizon and just installed system update 23, software version: QP1A.190711.020.G960USQU7ETG2 this morning and now have this identical problem with bluetooth headphones while on a phone call.  The headphones work fine with music from the phone and while connected to a PC so I know the problem does not exist with the headphones.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hey there, Are you experiencing similar symptoms when connecting other devices via Bluetooth? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yes, I just connected another set of bluetooth headphones and the same thing happened.  I never experienced this problem before the system update 23.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Almost exactly the same problem here - don't expect any help from Samsung. I posted the same issue weeks ago and other than utterly useless level one helpdesk recommendations (did you reset your phone...that sort of inane rubbish) it's been nothing but the chirping of crickets.