cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Broken after February 2020 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just ran the latest update on my phone over night. Woke up this morning to most features on my phone no longer working and frequent app crashes. These include the gallery crashing any time I try to open a image, trying to access anything on the file explorer crashes, playing any music stored on my SD card leads to no audio, and any attempts to back up/transfer data to another device leads to the phone itself crashing. Also, trying to install apps from Google Play leads to that app crashing. I've also noticed I no longer get any custom sounds fron alerts. I've tried clearing the cache and user data which seems to do nothing at all. I feel like there's some sort of bug in how the phone reads data now. This whole thing really upsets me because I have a lot of important things on my phone that I don't wish to part with by doing a full factory reset. I'm hoping a big fix happens soon but if there is anything I can do, I'd like to know.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Broken after February 2020 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The next step would be to do a factory reset in an attempt to stabilize the software and correct any errors in installation. Be sure to do a complete back up before doing so. It is also recommended to not allow the apps to auto restore. It is best to reinstall them from the Play Store or Galaxy Store directly.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried clearing the cache partition of the phone? 

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have done this several times and the problem pesists

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The next step would be to do a factory reset in an attempt to stabilize the software and correct any errors in installation. Be sure to do a complete back up before doing so. It is also recommended to not allow the apps to auto restore. It is best to reinstall them from the Play Store or Galaxy Store directly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I finally got fed up and did a factory reset. Luckily most of my important data was backed up in my Samsung account. I wish it wouldn't have had to go this route but it seemed like my only option after a while. I hope no one else goes through this

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The same story on two of our S9s. Update is obviously flawed.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My S9+ is having this problem for the last few weeks since the update.  Once everything starts failing and closing; the only way is to restart the phone.  This was highly disruptive when it failed in the middle of an urgent driving journey!  Samsung: please resolve this soon.  I do not have time to do a full system reset/reinstall 😒.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@TrishaXuk Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Agreed

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same problem, did the factory reset fix it?