cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Burning smell from charging port

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I plugged my S9 in to charge tonight and felt the phone heat up. I heard a small sizzling sound and noticed that there was a smell like that of burnt plastic coming from the charging port. The charger end was also hot to the touch. 

I replaced the charger with a new one. I placed the phone near an a/c vent so that the device cools down. I plugged the new charger in after some time and noticed that the problem persisted. The phone still heated up and the burning smell returned. I have now turned the phone off and placed it on a cool surface. 

Any help to resolve this is greatly appreciated. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Burning smell from charging port

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for following up. As @SJohnson mentioned the device would need to be repaired. Also, please discontinue use of the device until the device can be inspected and repaired. I would be happy to assist you further. Can I please have your full model number and IMEI in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Get a new phone immedittely the phone can blow up or battery chemicals may leak

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION
hey there Samsung member,

that definitely sounds like something short-circuited and you will need repairs. have the device power down and discontinue use. If you are not in range of a Samsung repair shop, you can see if a uBreakiFix is in your area. If not, you would need to send your phone to Samsung for repairs. let me know if you need assistance in getting your device shipped out

Please follow all community guidelines before posting

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for following up. As @SJohnson mentioned the device would need to be repaired. Also, please discontinue use of the device until the device can be inspected and repaired. I would be happy to assist you further. Can I please have your full model number and IMEI in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post