cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Chat messages automatically turning off

Last month a friend of mine got a new Galaxy phone and our text messages have been hit and miss ever since. 

My phone will automatically switch off chat messages. If I send a text with it off he doesn't receive it. If I go in and turn it back on he usually receives it.

Now when he answers me it goes to a new text thread so I will have two threads running.  One of my sending him messages and one of him receiving then. 

I deleted both threads, cleared the cache and restarted my  phone.  That worked for two days and now it's doing it again. Automatic turning off chat messages,  him not receiving mine and his texts coming in a second thread. 

Any suggestions? Thank you for any help. 

Linda

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Chat messages automatically turning off

Hello Linda Since you already did the base trouble shooting, the next thing I would suggest would be checking you Messages Center Number. To do So follow the steps:

2 Tap Messaging (you may need to swipe left or right to locate it first).
3 Tap the 3-dot More key.
4 Tap Settings.
5 Tap More settings.
6 Tap Text messages.
7 Locate Message center. Directly beneath it should be the message center phone number of your network operator. (Check your network operator's website for their message center number to compare). If the number on your phone is different, or missing, tap Message center, enter your network operator's message center number and then tap SET. Then try sending a text message.

You can check your carriers Message Center Number by using Google. Hope this helped.

Highlighted
Constellation

@NandoCuellar Thanks for responding! On your Step 6-Tap text messages,  that option isn't there. After I tap more settings my options are multimedia messages (which does not have a message center option), quick responses,  show web previews and delete old messages. 

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Highlighted
Product Expert

Another suggetion would be trying a different messaging app like Hangouts. Can find it on your play store if you don't have it yet.