JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Data transfer and phone op crawls when wifi enabled, wifi speed seems good.

(Topic created: 05-30-2020 11:16 AM)
userTvO2nogy20
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello everyone, 

My and my wife's GS9s have recently run into a frustrating problem. The device's operation, app loading speed, app refresh speed etc all crater when connected to a wifi. 

Turn the wifi off and they run normally. 

I don't believe it's our internet connection or signal strength to the router. Download speeds in the browser are very normal.  App operation though, again, is badly affected. 

It takes 1.5 minutes to upload a screenshot to gmail. Strava crawls and will load some pages but fails on many. Hulu opens after 45 seconds of splash screen. Some apps hang in the splash screen permanently. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

4 Replies
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@userTvO2nogy20

Have you tried turning off everything that might interfere with sending and receiving data when connected to the Wi-Fi network?

I have the following options turned off. 

Switch To Mobile Data

Turn On Wi-Fi automatically

Detect Suspicious Networks

Wi-Fi Power Saving Mode

Secure WiFi

Wi-Fi Scan Throttling

The last item on the list is only available in developer options and least likely to be causing the issue. I've had issues in security and battery saving features that meant well but slowed everything down or interrupted the connection long enough to trigger a lost connection.

If you haven't already done so try to wipe the system cache partition.

I haven't heard of any issues related to the randomized Mac address but you might want to set it to phone Mac address while testing.

Best regards, 

CLF 

0 Likes
userTvO2nogy20
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Clf thanks for your reply and advice.  My wife and I have both been having the same issue and I've been using her phone as a control against what changes I try on mine (much to her dismay).

Things I've tried:

Restarts

Soft Resets

Forget Networks and reconnect

Reset Network Settings

Wipe System Cache Partition

Turn battery from optimized to high performance

Turned off "Put apps to sleep" (This caused issues about 6 months ago with app performance, symptoms unrelated)

Turned off Adaptive Battery

And now, all your recommendations above for network preferences.  No improvement unfortunately...

Some apps are severely degraded, other apps seems unaffected...

All other devices in our house run at normal speed.  My phone's browser even runs at normal speed and performs a nominal internet speed test without difficulty.  Something in the phone is severely throttling data movement within certain apps and the internet when connected to any wifi network

Matt

0 Likes
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@userTvO2nogy20

Thanks Matt for letting me know.

LOL that's awesome nice work. App preferences aka the shotgun method. Nicely done.

Take care, 

Best regards, 

CLF 

0 Likes
Solution
userTvO2nogy20
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

CLF Welp, I've both solved the problem but prevented finding the specific solution.

Based on this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtanv_-VA4 I reset ALL app preferences via 

Settings > Apps > Triple dot > Reset App Preferences

and that solved the problem.  So +1 for alleviating the problem, but -1 for not using a process to find the specific problem due to the blanket reset.  

Hope this helps others down the road.