cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userRZ9WDTR9xX
Constellation

Disable Bixby

I just upgraded my phone earlier today from one that I got for Christmas two years ago to a Galaxy S9.  I've already reinstalled all of the apps I had on my previous device, moved my SD card with all of my music to the new phone, and rearranged the UI to my liking...  except for this obnoxious Bixby app. 

Much of my music is older and as such plays back at a somewhat lower volume than more modern tracks, requiring that I adjust the phone's volume accordingly as one song yields to the next.  When a particularly loud song comes on after a quieter one, which happens with some frequency, I have a tendency to reflexively press the phone's "volume down" button several times to prevent the music from blaring so loudly that it can be heard from across the house.  However, with this new phone, I keep mistakenly accessing this abhorrent Bixby app instead. 

I've looked online for methods of disabling either the app itself or the button that launches it.  The app can't be disabled through the phone's settings, and apparently it's hard-coded into the phone's OS which protects it from being uninstalled.  Trying to access the phone's app settings for Bixby brings up the settings menu within the app itself.  There are screenshots of the app from last year which indicate that there was once an option to disable the button, but that option is no longer available. 

The only "solution" I seem to be able to find on this forum so far is to switch the app to two-tap activation, which I've already done and clearly isn't going to work for me.  I'm hoping that someone will have a better recommendation for me to try. The only potential solution I have not yet attempted is turning to a third-party program:  Something specifically designed to circumvent Bixby's tyrannical hold on Galaxy phones' functions.  This route, however, seems almost like cheating to me and shouldn't be necessary to begin with.

I've had the phone active for all of six hours now and, despite the fact that it seems to function much more smoothly than my old phone, my immediate distaste for this app has made me, for the first time, wish I had instead chosen to buy an iPhone with comparable capabilities instead.  

I spent a considerable amount of time looking into the relative processing and graphics capabilities of various phones and weighing their power against their price before deciding to pick up the S9.  Unfortunately, my research only went as far as the hardware and I had not considered the software that would come with the phone.  If I had dug a bit deeper and learned that this otherwise decent piece of technology was blemished with an app so deeply rooted into all of its functions that it came with a launch button on the side of the phone itself, with forums littered with threads from countless people seeking ways to get rid of it, I would have avoided it like the plague and chosen something else.

3 REPLIES 3
Honored Contributor

Re: Disable Bixby

@userRZ9WDTR9xX wrote:

I just upgraded my phone earlier today from one that I got for Christmas two years ago to a Galaxy S9.  I've already reinstalled all of the apps I had on my previous device, moved my SD card with all of my music to the new phone, and rearranged the UI to my liking...  except for this obnoxious Bixby app. 

Much of my music is older and as such plays back at a somewhat lower volume than more modern tracks, requiring that I adjust the phone's volume accordingly as one song yields to the next.  When a particularly loud song comes on after a quieter one, which happens with some frequency, I have a tendency to reflexively press the phone's "volume down" button several times to prevent the music from blaring so loudly that it can be heard from across the house.  However, with this new phone, I keep mistakenly accessing this abhorrent Bixby app instead. 

I've looked online for methods of disabling either the app itself or the button that launches it.  The app can't be disabled through the phone's settings, and apparently it's hard-coded into the phone's OS which protects it from being uninstalled.  Trying to access the phone's app settings for Bixby brings up the settings menu within the app itself.  There are screenshots of the app from last year which indicate that there was once an option to disable the button, but that option is no longer available. 

The only "solution" I seem to be able to find on this forum so far is to switch the app to two-tap activation, which I've already done and clearly isn't going to work for me.  I'm hoping that someone will have a better recommendation for me to try. The only potential solution I have not yet attempted is turning to a third-party program:  Something specifically designed to circumvent Bixby's tyrannical hold on Galaxy phones' functions.  This route, however, seems almost like cheating to me and shouldn't be necessary to begin with.

I've had the phone active for all of six hours now and, despite the fact that it seems to function much more smoothly than my old phone, my immediate distaste for this app has made me, for the first time, wish I had instead chosen to buy an iPhone with comparable capabilities instead.  

I spent a considerable amount of time looking into the relative processing and graphics capabilities of various phones and weighing their power against their price before deciding to pick up the S9.  Unfortunately, my research only went as far as the hardware and I had not considered the software that would come with the phone.  If I had dug a bit deeper and learned that this otherwise decent piece of technology was blemished with an app so deeply rooted into all of its functions that it came with a launch button on the side of the phone itself, with forums littered with threads from countless people seeking ways to get rid of it, I would have avoided it like the plague and chosen something else.

See if you can find these settings in your phone:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-remap-bixby-button-your-galaxy-phone-launch-any-app

Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey, 

Although I don't particularly dislike the the Bixby AI I haven't used it very much lately. I use the volume down switch all the time when I'm watching utube videos and it never calls the Bixby app.

Some 3rd party music apps include the volume leveling option so that no matter what volume level was used when encoding the the music tracks they all play back at the same volume level.

One hand operation + has an option that when you swipe a handle on the edge of screen a small panel opens with the media volume slider so you never have to use the volume up and down buttons. Samsung is the developer. I have no idea why they added the quick double press I would rather have single press does nothing or opens an app and long press already opens Bixby voice. It reminds me of using the volume down and power button to take a screen shot. Half the time the power menu would open or the media volume would move to 0. Samsung fixed that one by shortening the delay for taking the screen shot when the two buttons are pressed. It works perfectly now. 

They do change things all the time so maybe they will change this In a future update. 

I hope you find a suitable solution for this one. 

Best regards, 

CLF 

user8w7mP50OD0
Astronaut

I have now spent over two days searching for solutions and trying every suggestion (most of which offer up solutions that don't work or lead to switches that do not show on my S9 Galaxy.

I have had (and loved) virtually every Galaxy model over the years but I too am on the verge of leaving Samsung in the dust - that's how much I HATE BIXBY.

Just give us the option to turn it OFF Samsung!!!