cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mithilmadia
Astronaut

False IP68 rating - Moisture damaged the phone's motherboard

I own a Galaxy S9 plus phone. It has been rated as IP68 water resistant. However, my phone's stopped working after ingrssion of moisture. When I contacted the Service Centre, they were shocked themselves. They agreed to the fact that despite being promoted and advertised as water resistant phone with underwater shooting capacity, moisture entered the system and is the cause of damage. I am left red faced with the estimted costs for repairs i.e. INR 24,000 (which is more than 50% of the retail price of the phone).

I should not bear the cost for lapses of the phone's performance.

@samsung, I request you to resolve the soon.

3 REPLIES 3
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: False IP68 rating - Moisture damaged the phone's motherboard

While the phone is rated for IP-68 Water Resistance, the phone is not water-proof. In the event water touches the internal components and corrodes, this would lead to water damage which is not covered under any Samsung limited warranties.

userm8FM2pgLLb
Constellation

I owned a Note 8, and I dumped it both underwater to catch video of fishes swimming while I was in Maui. Set it upright or use a hair dryer in cold setting to dry the charging port out. That phone is still being used by my daughter without any problem

TheGuessxpert
Asteroid

Depending on the water, it can damage the phone a lot easier. Dirty water from a lake or ocean water can have corrosive properties that can compromise the well being of the phone. Also keep in mind, any cracks or deep scratches can compromise the IP68 rating too. Even a drop could damage the seal of a phone. Samsung does have the IP68 rating as a selling point but this rating is purely for the benefit of protection. Having that rating allows the majority to have a little piece of mind if an accident were to happen. The fact that these phones are fragile, not just Samsung, you should consider that every time you purposely dunk that phone in water, you are taking a risk. I have been personally lucky with the last 3 Samsung phones I had that were IP68 rated. Since you haven't been detailed in your information, to me it sounds like you may have just got a lemon which does suck on the account that usually less than 1% of manufactured flagship phones are lemons. Sorry to say this but I would consider shopping around for a new device over a repair. A repair is just gonna be a bandaid.