cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Galaxy

Re: Fingerprint sensor app missing

Wonder why they would block a diagnostic tool.

In the Samsung members app they offer a fingerprint test also

Samsung members>get help>interactive checks>fingerprint 

Make sure you have the latest version from the galaxy store:

http://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.voc&cId=000003596846

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for the tip! Thats a great resource. I'm not sure why the diagnostic menus are disabled by Verizon. It seems really silly to me. 

Anyhow, I took your advice and went through the steps, but it requires me to register a fingerprint to continue with the test... which of course I cannot do. This is beginning to become humorous if nothing else.Screenshot_20200801-004544_Samsung Members.jpg

Highlighted
Galaxy

This site has some good recommendations to also try before replacing it. If these last two options dont help then I would recommend getting your device serviced by a professional so they can determine the issue

Source:

https://www.data-retrieval.net/android-issues/fingerprint-scanner-not-working.html

Check for Possible Bad Third-party Apps

Another solution to fix Samsung Galaxy S9 fingerprint not working you can use is to boot your phone into safe mode. If fingerprint scanner works on safe mode but not normal mode, that means one of your third-party apps is to blame.

How to put your Samsung Galaxy S9 (Plus) into Safe Mode:

1. When your Samsung Galaxy S9 is on, press the Power key for a few seconds.
  2. Then press and hold Power off until “safe mode” shows up.
  3. Now tap again and the phone will be rebooting.
  4. When the home screen pops up you should be in Safe mode.
  5. Restart your phone to quit safe mode in Galaxy S9/S9+.

To identify which of your apps is causing the issue, you should boot your S9+ phone back to safe mode and follow these steps:

1. Boot to Safe Mode.
  2. Check for the problem.
  3. Once you’ve confirmed that a third party app is to blame, you can start uninstalling apps individually. We suggest that you begin with the most recent ones you’ve added.
  4. After you uninstall an app, restart the phone to normal mode and check for the problem.
  5. If you S9 is still problematic, repeat steps 1-4.

Wipe the Cache Partition

When fingerprint scanner is not working on Galaxy S9/S10, and you need to fix it, try to wipe the cache partition in your smartphone.

1. Turn off your device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. An “Installing system update” message will show for 30-60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, then press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Good advice! 

I've booted into safe mode, and it still isn't working. I've also wiped the cache partition as well. It seems as though all signs are pointing to professional servicing. You all have been very helpful. I really appreciate it.  

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have the same problem. 

I own Samsung s8 plus. Never had problems with Fingerprint sensor before. Just a few days ago it decided to stop working. 

When I try to unlock it It says THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER NOT RESPONDING. TRY AGAIN LATER.

When I go to setting to fingerprint sensor SAME MESSAGE.

Also the swipe motion across sensor to pull down the notification tab doesn't work. 

Tried every advicesin settings and it doesnt help.

Tried Booting in safe mode, doesn't help.

Tried clearing the chache, doesnt help.

When dialing *#0*# and selecting fingerprint normal test in the sensor menu. The app crash.

The thing is Samsung wants to update my phone but I don't want it. 

I will try to replace the fingerprint sensor.

I hope its that because I dont want to slow my phone down with updates.

They really want me to buy the new phone.