cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Fix your updates Samsung - bluetooth going to speaker

<edit> I'm sick of crappy OS updates.

Ever since my last update, my S9 now randomly goes to speaker while I'm using a bluetooth headset. The bluetooth indicator is still showing green, the speaker indicator DOES NOT turn on yet all the audio is coming out the speaker. I have to turn off the bluetooth, then turn it back on and the audio comes back to the headset. It is completely random in it's nature. Sometimes it won't happen for an entire call, other times it'll happen half a dozen times in a matter of minutes.

NOTHING has changed other than the latest crappy update. I hold off on doing updates for this very reason because EVERY TIME I update Samsung manage to screw up something that was previously working or remove a feature that I (and the majority it would seem) use and like.

I know Samsung won't respond but I just had to get this off my chest. As annoying as Apple was, these guys somehow manage to be worse. My Android expirement is over. Next new phone, back to iPhone.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Fix your updates Samsung - bluetooth going to speaker

Hey Samsung Member,

have you checked if your headset is able to receive calls? you can check by bringing down your notification panel then tap and hold the Bluetooth icon. once you find your headset on the list, tap on the gear icon next to the Bluetooth device in use. check if the option for calls are enabled

Highlighted
Asteroid

Please give me a little more credit than that. If you read the complaint you'll see it says it switches to speaker DURING a call meaning that I was able to take the call using the headset. And, if you need any more proof that it's an update issue, I have an S9+ which I refuse to update (still has the camera functionality from before Samsung stuffed that up as well) and the headset works perfectly. And my work colleague was complaining that his just started doing the same thing...not surprisingly just after he updated his S9.

And please, do not bother asking if I have tried all the basic things a help desk would suggest. I am only here because all that and more plus days searching the internet for a solution has proved fruitless. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

is the bluetooth paired with any other devices? laptop, tablet or something? that could cause the auto switch i think 

Highlighted
Asteroid

No other pairings. It doesn't 'switch' out of Bluetooth. Instead it just starts coming out the speaker while Bluetooth is still on and connected. I wish people would pay attention to the details in the original post.. 

Highlighted
Constellation

My phone started doing the same thing in the last two weeks.    It is very disruptive in a work setting.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

I hear you - It's just happened about a dozen times on the last conf call I was on. This is driving me nuts. Just in the process of collecting everything I need to roll back to Android 9 on the weekend (need the phone during the week). if I could get back to 8 it would be even better as I could get pro mode back on the camera plus the video and photo option on the auto mode. Honestly, if I brick the phone I don't give a sh!t any more as this phone has been nothing but a steaming pile. I'm just waiting for the phone contract with my carrier to expire (5 more excruciating months...sigh) then I'm going back to iPhone.

Samsung - I hope you read this and get your act together. Every update has had major issues which you just seem to ignore and bank on people just learning to put up with them. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Mine is doing the same thing.  The update that loaded this morning only made it worse.  Rebooting the phone doesn't work.  I've tried 7 (SEVEN) different headsets, from different brands, from Mpow to Plantronics, and all of them have the same problem with this phone.  At one point today, it was switching almost every second between headset and handset speaker.  I've read that this can be caused by radio interference, so I created isolation tests and tried several locations, including in the middle of the desert (but with great signal) and the problem persistes.  It's so incredibly annoying.  Especially since I use headsets with every single call.  If I have to replace the phone to fix this, I will NEVER, EVER buy or recommend Samsung again.  If this provides a clue, the same headsets can be used to listen to multimedia without any disruption or problems, but this only occurs when in phone mode, in the phone app.  You can WATCH it flipping bluetooth on and off for the call and have no control over it.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I feel your pain Smiley Sad Sadly like every time Samsung break something with an update (and it seems to happen all too often) there's been nothing from them. Seems they don't like to admit anything's ever wrong. But like yourself, I certainly won't be buying or recommending a Samsung mobile ever again.